× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The login/psw (admin/password) does not work for readyshare.

deb1962
Aspirant

The login/psw (admin/password) does not work for readyshare.

I have had a Seagate portable drive connected to my R6400 netgear router for months and backing up with Time Machine on my MAC.  I am not sure what happened but it stopped recogizing the R6400.  I talked to Seagate and Apple and ended up erasing the drive and connecting it directly to my MAC and I have a backup!  However, when I reconnected the drive to the router and attempted to connect it again through readyshare it does not work because the instructions say to use the user: admin and password: password.  That does not work.  I tried my username and password for the netgear router, for my MAC and for my Micorsoft account. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am not at all tech savvy...Thanks!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Re: The login/psw (admin/password) does not work for readyshare.

@deb1962 wrote:

However, when I reconnected the drive to the router and attempted to connect it again through readyshare it does not work because the instructions say to use the user: admin and password: password.  

Instructions for what?

Adding a USB drive should not need that. You just plug it in.

What are you doing that throws up this password request?

Can you access the router's graphical user interface (GUI) in the usual way?

Message 2 of 9
deb1962
Aspirant

Message 3 of 9

@deb1962 wrote:

Here are the instructions:

https://kb.netgear.com/21360/How-to-setup-Time-Machine-with-your-NETGEAR-router

Forgive me if I don't spend time chasing up your link. But it seems that you are using "Time Machine", whatever that is.

Perhaps you need to talk to the people who provide that. Or you could answer the questions I asked.

"Can you access the router's graphical user interface (GUI) in the usual way?"

That deals with attaching a USB drive to a Netgear router. Troubleshooting other stuff is down to the people who created it.

If you are lucky an expert in "Time Machine" will step in.

Message 4 of 9
deb1962
Aspirant

Oh thanks so much anyway.  The problem is between Time Machine and Netgear because the instructions are for an external drive connected to the netgear router.  FYI:

With Time Machine, you can back up files on your Mac that weren't part of the macOS installation, such as apps, music, photos, and documents. When Time Machine is turned on, it automatically backs up your Mac and performs hourly, daily, and weekly backups of your files.

Message 5 of 9

@deb1962 wrote:

The problem is between Time Machine and Netgear because the instructions are for an external drive connected to the netgear router.

Ah. Now I see. I have no idea what sort of external drive Time Machine expects to see. (Is that some sort of Mac utility?) ReadySHARE provides something that appears as a mapped drive on your network.

If you can work out how to see the USB drive attached to the router on a computer on your network, that would confirm that it is properly configured in the router. As a Windows user, I have no idea how this works on Macs. But my inclination would be to keep Time Machine out of the picture until I know the USB drive is behaving itself.

Some Netgear manuals talk about configuring for Time Machine, but the MR60 is not in there. But I did find this:

How to setup Time Machine with your NETGEAR router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then there is this:

How do I use Time machine to back up my MAC onto a USB hard drive attached to my Nighthawk router? |...

I have no idea if any of that helps. 

A word of warning, Netgear is steadily removing ReadySHARE features from the firmware in its routers, especially anything that depends on Cloud services. 

Sometimes Netgear says it is for security reasons at others it is to make room for a service that it wants to sell. The release notes for firmware usually warn when this is happening. I have no idea if that includes whatever allows Time Machine to work.

Message 6 of 9
deb1962
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your assistance.  The first link is actually the same one I sent to you that calls for the username/password of admin/password.  This used to work.  I believe it is netgear that changed something with readyshare and this will probably never work again.

I tried the instructions in the 2nd link but it will not recognize the hard drive connected to the router.

The good news is that I can connect the hard drive directly to my MAC and get a backup through Time Machine so I will have to do that once a week or so.

Thanks again.  I truly appreciate your time and expertise.

Message 7 of 9
Jordan-P
Star

For what it's worth... I have a CAX80 and have been using Readyshare for over a year with an external USB drive attached with password protected shares using the router login admin and password and everything has been fine. In the last 1 to 2 weeks I can no longer access my password protected Readyshare shares. If I turn off the password protection I get to them fine. But something has changed in the last week or two that is causing the password protected shares not to accept the router login and password.

I've tried a lot of things to rectify the problem. So many that I don't think there is anything I can do to fix it. Fix will have to come the way of a firmware update. I'm assuming there is a security certificate or something somewhere that maybe has expire. Maybe not? But nothing has changed on my end. Some broke possibly with a recent firmware update. I'm not entirely sure.
Message 8 of 9
deb1962
Aspirant

I have given up and am backing up once a week by connecting the hard drive directly to my MAC.  It is nice to know though that I am not the only one with this problem!  Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7