× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4500 Ports won't open

thomas9706
Aspirant

WNDR4500 Ports won't open

Hi,

I am trying to host a Minecraft server via portforwarding, but the router won't let me. I can join the server with my internal IP (IPv4) address, but not via the public IP. I've opened the 25565 port on the router, and checked via http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ whether the port is opened or not, but the site says it is closed.

Also if I host the server at my parents with a D-Link router, it works perfectly.

What can I possibly do wrong?

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: WNDR4500 Ports won't open

@thomas9706 wrote:

There is a modem between the ISP and the router, is it possible that the modem is blocking the port?

If the modem is actually a gateway, then it is blocking the port.  What is the manufacturer and model number?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What is between the router and the ISP?  Is it possible that there is a gateway in front of the router instead of a modem?

Message 2 of 7
thomas9706
Aspirant

There is a modem between the ISP and the router, is it possible that the modem is blocking the port?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@thomas9706 wrote:

If the modem is actually a gateway, then it is blocking the port.  What is the manufacturer and model number?

Message 4 of 7
thomas9706
Aspirant

The modem is a Cisco EPC3928.

Message 5 of 7
thomas9706
Aspirant

The modem actually was blocking the port, I've fixed it in the modem menu. Once in there I could open the port again. Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@thomas9706 wrote:

The modem actually was blocking the port, I've fixed it in the modem menu. Once in there I could open the port again. Thanks for your help.

Your modem is actually a gateway (modem+router).  You can generally put them into a bridging mode, which turns the router function off.  That would keep it from blocking anything.

But it is fine to double-route, although it does complicate port forwarding a bit (as you discovered).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7