× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200 Will not connect after upgrade to fibre (UK)

Elsaetka
Aspirant

D6200 Will not connect after upgrade to fibre (UK)

Hi, I have a fairly new D6200 Router which has worked perfectly on standard (UK) broadband for the past few months. I upgraded to fibre with my provider (Plusnet), and I was called by a BT Openreach engineer yesterday to say he was carrying out the upgrade so I would be off line a short while.

After a long time I still had no internet so called Plusnet support who were brilliant, they said there was no problem with the line and ran through the usual re-starts etc.

Plusnet had supplied me with a new router, however I was reluctant to use it as the Netgear was performing really well, however under the circumstances I had no choice but to connect their router and it connected straight away.

My understanding was the D6200 is just plug and play, however if I am missing something would someone please come back with a straightforward step by step process I need to follow to get the D6200 to connect, replies from those with the info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: D6200 Will not connect after upgrade to fibre (UK)

> Plusnet state for their fibre broadband:............
> [...] Does your router say VDSL2 Fibre in its product description?
> [...]

Clearly, it does not.  If your ISP requires a VDSL modem, then the
D6200, which does only ADSL, is not suitable.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies

@Elsaetka wrote:

Hi, I have a fairly new D6200 Router which has worked perfectly on standard (UK) broadband for the past few months. 

The D6200 is a modem/router, not just a router.

@Elsaetka wrote:

Plusnet had supplied me with a new router, however I was reluctant to use it as the Netgear was performing really well....

A wise move. The Plusnet box seems to be one of those nasty BT Homehubs in a different colour.

You don't say what sort of internet you had before Plusnet came along. Was it ADSL?

Have they now converted you to Infinity? (Or whatever Plusnet call it.) If so, you are now on DSL. The D6200 should handle that just fine.

But you would do well to reset the D6200 to factory settings. ADSL configuration is very different from DSL.

There is a manual for the D6200 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D6200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See pages 13 and 146.

After you do the reset, plug the D6200 into the line instead of the box that Plusnet "gave" you.

Then you should be able to tale the modem/router through the setup process.

BT, and probably Plusnet, have a pretty basis login regime. Just use your Plusnet email address with no password.

If you are lucky, the setup wizard will get the right settings for you.

After things are working as you want, you can go back in and change the settings on the  D6200 to get back the wifi settings you had before, SSIDs and passwords, for example.

Message 2 of 9
Elsaetka
Aspirant

Thank you for coming back to me Michael, unfortunately i'm still not making much progress.

No matter which way I connect the DSL it will not connect to the net. I ran the NetGear Genie and self diagnosis states no DSL cable connected, even though it is correctly plugged into the router. Genie also reset the router (so did I with the reset button as advised), again, no luck.

However, as soon as I plug the cable into the new PlusNet  router, everything works perfectly.

I tried another router, again another powerful unit made by TP Link and I hit the same problem.

I'm not an expert so i'm struggling here, however I am thinking I need the actual router settings required by PlusNet, so I can manually enter them into the D6200?

Very frustrating

Message 3 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] Plusnet had supplied me with a new router, [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.

> [...] I tried another router, again another powerful unit made by TP
> Link [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.

> I'm not an expert so i'm struggling here, [...]

So is any non-psychic reader trying to guess at your equipment
inventory, or the capabilities of your devices.

> [...]  I need the actual router settings required by PlusNet, so I can
> manually enter them into the D6200?

That might be a good idea, but, before worrying about such details as
settings, it might help to know if your new fiber service uses VDSL for
your connection.  The DSL modem in a D6200 is ADSL-only, and may be
unable to connect to a VDSL provider.  If the (unspecified) "a new
router" says that it's making a VDSL connection, then that may explain
your problem.  If your (unspecified) "another router" also has an
ADSL-only modem, then it might do no better for the same reason.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "ADSL" and "VDSL".
Repeat for another model, like, say, a D7000.

> [...] ADSL configuration is very different from DSL.

Nonsense.  ADSL is a type of DSL.  So is VDSL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL

Message 4 of 9
Elsaetka
Aspirant

In responce to the last message, I have attempted to provide more detail however as per my previous post I am not an expert on these matters so if I am short on detail, apologies.

The new plusnet router supplied to me (by plusnet) is manufactured by SagemCOM it does not come with a spec, however the model is CS5001 (at least that is the only code that looks likely).

Plusnet state for their fibre broadband:............

Fibre Broadband

• Does your router say VDSL2 Fibre in its product description? (You may want to search for the model name if you don't have details to hand)
  • Have you bought your router from a reputable high street/online retailer?

If you answered Yes to both questions, it's likely that your router is compatible with our service. If you answered No, we'd advise you to take our router to be on the safe side'

Netgear Spec for my DS6200 States:.........

Built-in ADSL2+ Modem • AC1200 WiFi—300+867† Mbps speeds • Ideal for homes with 8 or more WiFi devices • NETGEAR® genie® App for computers & smartphones • Ethernet WAN—Future-proof your network

Hopefully the above gives more to go on

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
antinode
Guru

> Plusnet state for their fibre broadband:............
> [...] Does your router say VDSL2 Fibre in its product description?
> [...]

Clearly, it does not.  If your ISP requires a VDSL modem, then the
D6200, which does only ADSL, is not suitable.

Message 6 of 9
Elsaetka
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, clearly that is the answer, I think from a none expert point of view I was thinking a relatively new router would handle anything, but as you point out Antinode, that is not the case. Ironically after settling down to stream some TV last night via my new (Free router), it started buffering every five minutes (very annoying), especially as I never had a problem before I upfgraded and was using the Netgear router.

So, I have ordered a very powerful and suitable new router and the old modems will be sold. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 9

@Elsaetka wrote:

... and the old modems will be sold.

Good luck finding a buyer. ADSL is all but dead in the UK. I'm sure you would not want to pass this on to an unsuspecting buyer who could hit the same brick wall.

You could have tried using the D6200 as an access point before getting rid of it.

I admit that I didn't try that hard – Google failed me – but I couldn't find the details, and a manual, for the SagemCOM CS5001 modem. Other messages here have suggested that Plusnet now uses a variant of the dreaded BT Homehub.

How to set up your Plusnet router | Help & Support - Plusnet

I had no luck, so I couldn't see if you could put it into modem only mode. (That doesn't work with the Homehub.)

You don't say what you meant by "performing really well", but if it was the wifi and wired LAN, using it as an access point would have given you all that, at no extra cost.

Message 8 of 9
antinode
Guru

> You could have tried using the D6200 as an access point before getting
> rid of it.

Still could, if it's still in the "will be sold" state.  According to
the D6200 User Manual, it lacks a one-step option to select operation as
a wireless access point, but one step-by-step procedure for such (less
accommodating) routers should be here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

That's written for a C6300, but the steps are about the same for any
other router (any make/model) which lacks a one-step WAP option.

So, if you need better wireless coverage in a place to which you can
run an Ethernet cable from your main router (whatever it is), then the
D6200 could still have some utility.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7