Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

401 Unauthorized Error Netgear Genie

ToddGibson
Follower

401 Unauthorized Error Netgear Genie

Hi, I switched my ISP today and now when I try to access the Netgear Genie via routerlogin.net, I continually receive the error: "401 Unauthorized - Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication".

Every time I factory reset the router, I can access the genie to set it up (input ISP settings etc), but once the internet is active, I can no longer access the setup/config page. This occurs no matter what I put in the admin/password fields (admin/admin, blank, ISP settings), or which computer/phone I use (Macbook, iMac, PC, android phone), or which browser I use (Chrome, Safari, Edge). I have emptied caches, flushed DNS, removed firewalls, etc., but nothing works. Have also tried using the dreadful Nighthawk app with the same result. Firmware is also up to date.

Netgear is trying to charge me $50 for a solution which is absolutely obscene considering I purchased the router (Nighthawk X10) only 3.5 months ago. I've spent hours on this searching forums, but I'm unable to figure this out and am posting here as a last resort before I sell the router and never touch another Netgear product again. 

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Message 1 of 2
Kitsap
Master

Re: 401 Unauthorized Error Netgear Genie

@ToddGibson wrote:

Hi, I switched my ISP today and now when I try to access the Netgear Genie via routerlogin.net, I continually receive the error: "401 Unauthorized - Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication".

Every time I factory reset the router, I can access the genie to set it up (input ISP settings etc), but once the internet is active, I can no longer access the setup/config page. This occurs no matter what I put in the admin/password fields (admin/admin, blank, ISP settings), or which computer/phone I use (Macbook, iMac, PC, android phone), or which browser I use (Chrome, Safari, Edge). I have emptied caches, flushed DNS, removed firewalls, etc., but nothing works. Have also tried using the dreadful Nighthawk app with the same result. Firmware is also up to date.

Netgear is trying to charge me $50 for a solution which is absolutely obscene considering I purchased the router (Nighthawk X10) only 3.5 months ago. I've spent hours on this searching forums, but I'm unable to figure this out and am posting here as a last resort before I sell the router and never touch another Netgear product again. 

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

No fees here, however more information needed.

Buried in paragraph 3, am I safe to presume you are referring to a Netgear R9000 X10 router?

Are you using a Windows or Mac computer? 

Connected to the router how, via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

What web browser are you using?  Did you try clearing the cache on the one you are using?

Did you try the router's default IP address?  192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or possibly 10.0.0.1?

Additional information available here:

https://kb.netgear.com/27199/I-can-t-access-my-router-what-do-I-do

https://kb.netgear.com/6678/Routerlogin-net-not-working-Mac-users

Both of the knowledge base articles were found via the search function on this community site.

When you switched ISP's, did you receive a new modem?  If yes, that would have created a new network for your router and other downstream devices.  What is the brand name and model number of your new modem?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7