Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change a client machine's DHCP-assigned IP address? (ipconfig /release - /renew has no effect)

glenintenn
Aspirant

Change a client machine's DHCP-assigned IP address? (ipconfig /release - /renew has no effect)

Greetings, 

I've been trying to update the ip address on a specific machine in my home network. 

It's currently set at 192.x.x.8 (autoassigned when it first joined the network). 

I've setup the address reservation for it at 192.x.x.75 with its MAC address. 

I've tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew over the course of day or more but each time I release/renew, the 192.x.x.8 address lease time just gets extended by 24 hours from the renew time ... instead of switching to 192.x.x.75. 

Is there something I have to do at the router to purge the 192.x.x.8 assignment after I release from the client? 

Other steps? 

TIA,

GiT

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
glenintenn
Aspirant

[SOLVED]Change a client machine's DHCP-assigned IP addr? (ipconfig /release - /renew has no effect)

Nuclear option worked: 

1. Hard code the ethernet adapter to the new, desired IP address.  Reboot machine. confirm it is ping-able at the new address. 

2. confirm the client PC IP address is listed in the reserved IP address at the desired IP (e.g. the one hard coded at the client).  Reboot the netgear router

3. confirm the client PC is still accessible at the new ip address

4. switch the client PC back to DHCP.  Reboot the client PC 

In my case the client PC came back up at the newly assigned IP address (which had previously (several days ago) been reserved for the new client PC's MAC Address) 

My conclusion: the Netgear router provides no software / admin UI to clear the ARP cache and so ... by setting the client PC to the new IP address already set in the Reserved IP list and then rebooting the router, the new IP and mapping to MAC address was finally honored.  

Other thoughts welcomed. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

Re: Change a client machine's DHCP-assigned IP address? (ipconfig /release - /renew has no effect)

@glenintenn wrote:

I've been trying to update the ip address on a specific machine in my home network. 

Can you tell this machine to use a particular IP address?

That is another way of making something stay put on the network. Printers, NAS boxes and other things are amenable to that approach.

Message 2 of 4
glenintenn
Aspirant

Re: Change a client machine's DHCP-assigned IP address? (ipconfig /release - /renew has no effect)

>>Can you tell this machine to use a particular IP address?<<

sure... you can hard code it in the hosts file... but I was wanting to know how to get the DHCP function to do it for me.... still no luck several days later... the original dhcp-assigned address remains in effect. 

Message 3 of 4
glenintenn
Aspirant

[SOLVED]Change a client machine's DHCP-assigned IP addr? (ipconfig /release - /renew has no effect)

Nuclear option worked: 

1. Hard code the ethernet adapter to the new, desired IP address.  Reboot machine. confirm it is ping-able at the new address. 

2. confirm the client PC IP address is listed in the reserved IP address at the desired IP (e.g. the one hard coded at the client).  Reboot the netgear router

3. confirm the client PC is still accessible at the new ip address

4. switch the client PC back to DHCP.  Reboot the client PC 

In my case the client PC came back up at the newly assigned IP address (which had previously (several days ago) been reserved for the new client PC's MAC Address) 

My conclusion: the Netgear router provides no software / admin UI to clear the ARP cache and so ... by setting the client PC to the new IP address already set in the Reserved IP list and then rebooting the router, the new IP and mapping to MAC address was finally honored.  

Other thoughts welcomed. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7