Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After two years of "escalation" the RS400 still does not find new firmware version.

iNg6ie
Aspirant

After two years of "escalation" the RS400 still does not find new firmware version.

If I've understood correctly, keeping the software or firmware in this case up to date, is one of the basic tenets of cyber security, the fact that "Nighthawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router" does not find a new firmware version automatically let alone after prodding it to see if there is a new version available, doubleplusungood" that is to say horrible.

I have opened a case to Netgear on November 2020 regarding this issue.

The customer service said that the case was "escalated".

Yet when I verified, again, that "V1.5.1.86_10.0.58" did not find "V1.5.1.88_10.0.58" as an new version.

Has any one else had this issue or do I have the very unique "Nighthawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router"?

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: After two years of "escalation" the RS400 still does not find new firmware version.

@iNg6ie wrote:

If I've understood correctly, keeping the software or firmware in this case up to date, is one of the basic tenets of cyber security, the fact that "Nighthawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router" does not find a new firmware version automatically let alone after prodding it to see if there is a new version available, doubleplusungood" that is to say horrible.

I have opened a case to Netgear on November 2020 regarding this issue.

The customer service said that the case was "escalated".

Yet when I verified, again, that "V1.5.1.86_10.0.58" did not find "V1.5.1.88_10.0.58" as an new version.

Has any one else had this issue or do I have the very unique "Nighthawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router"?

Unlikely, maybe firmware update was one of the issues addressed in the newer firmware. 

Try following the web browser instructions here: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router 

Recommend you connect to your router via an Ethernet cable. 

Message 2 of 4
iNg6ie
Aspirant

Obviously I don't know if this has been fixed in that latest version "V1.5.1.88_10.0.58", but it certainly was not fixed in second to last version "V1.5.1.86_10.0.58".

Because the WebUI does not find a new FW version, I've done all the updates manually via the same WebUI.

By "does not find" I mean:

Login -> Advanced -> Administration -> Router Update -> click the "Check" button. Description to the left of the button is:

"Check for new version from the Internet."

After a few seconds has passed, the "Firmware Version Check" has given for more than two years the same answer "No new firmware version available." and the oblicatory "Ok" button.

To insult to injury "Router Auto Firmware Update" is set to "Enable", which does not work, most likely because the router cannot find a newer firmware than what is installed.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@iNg6ie wrote:

Obviously I don't know if this has been fixed in that latest version "V1.5.1.88_10.0.58", but it certainly was not fixed in second to last version "V1.5.1.86_10.0.58".

Because the WebUI does not find a new FW version, I've done all the updates manually via the same WebUI.

By "does not find" I mean:

Login -> Advanced -> Administration -> Router Update -> click the "Check" button. Description to the left of the button is:

"Check for new version from the Internet."

After a few seconds has passed, the "Firmware Version Check" has given for more than two years the same answer "No new firmware version available." and the oblicatory "Ok" button.

To insult to injury "Router Auto Firmware Update" is set to "Enable", which does not work, most likely because the router cannot find a newer firmware than what is installed.

Not an unusual situation and not limited to your model.  Don't expect it to be "fixed" with the next generation of firmware. 

Most experienced users disable the auto update feature and update manually through an Ethernet connection.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements