Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318G dropping DNS server settings

jwol
Tutor

FVS318G dropping DNS server settings

I'm having problems with the router keeping its DNS server settings.

I have optioned the router to provide the router with static(fixed) DNS addresses.  The operational DNS addresses that I refer to below are the ones reported by the WAN status - which are the actual addresses being used by the router at that moment.

Quite often, the router will "clear" both operational addresses to ALL ZEROS. Of course when this happens I loose my internet connection. When this happens I login to the router and check the WAN status and then see ALL ZEROS for the DNS.  When I go to Network Configuration settings, my option to use static addresses is still selected with the correct addresses also intact!!!  At this point all I have to do is hit the APPLY button and the problem is fixed, i.e. the operational addresses are restored and the internet returns immediately.

Why does it keep cleaing the operational addresses and then not automatically restoring them? It obviously knows what they should be.

This is very frustrating.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318G dropping DNS server settings

Hi jwol,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. If you connect a PC directly to your modem, does the internet connection drops?

b. What is the current firmware version of the FVS318G?

c. Are there any changes in your network setup recently?

I look forward to your response. Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
jwol
Tutor

Hello.

Here are the answers to the questions you asked.

1. The basic internet connection is rock solid. It is a cable modem that has very high reliability. Obviously I never connect one PC directly to the modem. I would have to configure the modem for an altenate static DNS (I dont know if the modem even has this function) and then leave this connection active for an extended time to determine if there was a similar problem. I wouldnt be a able to do this as my entire network would then no have the internet.  Again, this DNS address is the function of the router.

2. Firmware version is 3.1.1-18, I believe the latest available.

3. No changes in the network that I know of. The problem has been occuring for months. Sometimes I see it "happen" while actively using the internet.

Thanks for any help.

jwol

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jwol,

I suggest that you reload the same firmware v3.1.1-18 then perform a factory reset.  After that, reconfigure the FVS318G from scratch and observe if same problem will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jwol,

Just want to follow-up if you were you able to perform the steps I have suggested? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

Try disabling dns proxy.  I have my dns statically assigned like you do and stopped having issues after I disabled dns proxy.

Message 6 of 8
jwol
Tutor

I just picked up your suggestion today and will try over the next several days. I will report my results.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Message 7 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

No problem.  Definitely report back.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements