Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router - Dual WAN

GaACETech
Tutor

Router - Dual WAN

A company I support has awful Internet access due to the cable company having issues.

There is another cable provider available.

The question:  which router can have two different WAN ports connected and will automatically fail-over if it senses a outage?  There are no VPNs.   The internet connection is to get to cloud based CRM systems that are business critical.

So - a router / switch with two different WAN ports plugged in and has auto-sensing capability.

Thanks.

Darryl

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

I'd go for a FVS336Gv3 and buy a dedicated AP. You can use the FVS318N kind of like an AP by doing the following;

*Factory default the FVS318N

*Change management IP since the default IP of the FVS318N is the same as the FVS336Gv3

*Turn off the FVS318N DHCP server

*Create a wireless SSID

*Plug the FVS318N in to the FVS336Gv3 using a LAN port (so LAN-LAN), do not plug anything in to the WAN port

This is assuming that you don't use multiple VLANs in which case you may need some additional configuration. But like I said a dedicated AP is probably a good idea anyways. 

Attaching possible topology with the FVS318N:

fvs318nap.png

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
dmacleo
Guide

fvs336gv3 should work, I only hvae one single provider here so cannot test specifically but the 336 supposed to do auto fallover between wan ports.

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 2 of 12
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GaACETech, 

@dmacleo is correct, along with the auto-failover feature the FVS336Gv3 also comes with load balancing. Both WAN ports can be used as a primary or failover port. Please click here for complete details.

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks,

Message 3 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

Is there a WiFi version of the FVS336v3?   or just a Access Point?    we have a single WAN port Netgear now.   i think that can be made a AP.

Message 4 of 12
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech, 

Unfortunately, we do not have a wireless firewall as of the moment. Yes, we can have it configured as an AP. What's the model number btw? 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

The current router is a NETGEAR ProSAFE FVS318N 8-Port Wireless-N VPN Firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN (FVS318N-100NAS)

Message 6 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

The current router is a NETGEAR ProSAFE FVS318N 8-Port Wireless-N VPN Firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN (FVS318N-100NAS)

Message 7 of 12
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

I'd go for a FVS336Gv3 and buy a dedicated AP. You can use the FVS318N kind of like an AP by doing the following;

*Factory default the FVS318N

*Change management IP since the default IP of the FVS318N is the same as the FVS336Gv3

*Turn off the FVS318N DHCP server

*Create a wireless SSID

*Plug the FVS318N in to the FVS336Gv3 using a LAN port (so LAN-LAN), do not plug anything in to the WAN port

This is assuming that you don't use multiple VLANs in which case you may need some additional configuration. But like I said a dedicated AP is probably a good idea anyways. 

Attaching possible topology with the FVS318N:

fvs318nap.png

Message 8 of 12
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech, 

The setup that @Danthem is suggesting is on point. That is the way I'd configure the network if I have your devices. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 9 of 12
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 10 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

JohnRo and Danthem thanks for the perfect responses.   Ths is being implemented as soon as hurrican Matthew gets out of the way!

Thanks!!

Darryl

Message 11 of 12
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech, 

Let us know if you need more help. Keep safe there!

Thanks,

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements