× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Temperature monitoring and control on Smart/Plus switches

I own an XS724EM 24-port 10G switch. It runs warm to the touch, and the default fan profile seems to err on the side of low noise rather than cooling. Tech support says that the switch is designed to spin down fans entirely unless a certain temperature threshold is reached.

Personally, I would prefer to see more aggressive cooling, even if meant slightly more fan noise. So my feature request is twofold:

1. Basic temperature monitoring (ambient, internal) in the admin GUI. All I want is a simple readout of how warm the switch currently thinks it is.
  2. Basic manual fan control in the admin GUI. I'm envisioning something like the "Cool/Balanced/Quiet" drop-down menu (see image) found on ReadyNAS units.

I know the managed switches have functionality along these lines. To me, this basic temperature monitoring and control seems like it should definitely be included on Smart/Plus switches too.

1 Comment
Jonathanoee
Aspirant

Really good ideas! This should be standard since it is very common that 10Gbit networks are running hot!