× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuring multiple vlans from trunk port from mikrotik

Shunter521
Follower

Configuring multiple vlans from trunk port from mikrotik

Hello All,

First off, VLANS mystify me, need help due to information overload.

I have a Mikrotik router (RB1100AH) setup with three Trunked VLANS out a common LAN port going to a Netgear GS748T managed switch.

What I'm trying to do is have three VLANS from router run thru a trunk port to port 48 on my Netgear switch and then have those three VLANS appear separately on different groups of ports assigned to each VLAN id and have each VLAN its own set of ip addresses for each VLAN

On the router a setup 3 vlan interfaces pointed to the "trunk LAN"

I tagged switch port 48 and the rest untagged in regards to each vlan port assignment

Now i'm totally in the mud now.

I think I need to setup the switch to handle dhcp for each vlan, just not sure as im not familiar with all the details about vlans.

What now?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Configuring multiple vlans from trunk port from mikrotik

GS748T(v1 to v5) are all Smart Switches.

-> Plus And Smart Switches Forum Discuss Smart Switches (T) and Plus Switches (E), including Local and ... 

@Shunter521 wrote:

What I'm trying to do is have three VLANS from router run thru a trunk port to port 48 on my Netgear switch and then have those three VLANS appear separately on different groups of ports assigned to each VLAN id and have each VLAN its own set of ip addresses for each VLAN

Worth some new ideas would be to use this RB1100AH which come with not less than 13(!) GbE ports would be to consider a better plan, distributing the traffic much better, instead of squeezing all the traffic into a single GbE trunk connection.

You need to go over the VLAN related learning curve yourself I'm afraid. We can't take off this load from your shoulders. This won't make a plug-and-play project, where the Netgear community can deliver ready to bake cookie recipe, especially not when it comes to more complex VLAN, IP subnet and the related DHCP environment - most notably on your Microtik router, since the GS748T(v1 to v5) are capable L2/L2+ switches, but not fully blown Managed Switches (at the risk or repeating) to round this intro up a this point.

Can't provide much more relief at this point.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements