Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318Gv2 Connectivity Issues with Firmware 4.3.3-8

rickgode
Aspirant

FVS318Gv2 Connectivity Issues with Firmware 4.3.3-8

This is becoming extremely frustrating... I have a Netgear FVS318Gv2 which works fine as long as it stays up for the first 10 minutes.  It will run flawlessly until a power outage.  Then good luck getting it back up.

Please see this thread:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/Fvs318gv2-connectivity-issues/m-p/1081407#M1820

And this thread:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/FVS318N-FVS318Gv2-Firmware-4-3-3-8/m-p/1106436#M1...

It seems that now with the 4.3.3-8 firmware the little trick to reboot via the GUI no longer keeps it from "hanging” It will stay up for about 10 minutes, then the internet light on the unit goes out and we unplug and try again.

I don't think the 4.3.3-8 firmware did anything for the "hanging" issue that plagues this unit.  There is only one difference between the 4.3.3-8 firmware and the 4.3.3-6 firmware which is something about eliminating a path transversal attack security vulnerability.

No Change.PNG

Is there any other solution on getting this router to stay connected after a power outage?

Ricky

Message 1 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

Re: FVS318Gv2 Connectivity Issues with Firmware 4.3.3-8

I have been rebooting/unplugging this router all afternoon and evening.  So far, it has been up the past hour, so I think it finally "took"

About 5:00pm, I called Netgear and they suggested I change the MTU from the default 1500 to 1492, and that I ask Charter (my internet provider) to resend a signal to my modem.

I changed the MTU, rebooted via the GUI and called Charter, she provisioned my modem and now it seems to be working.  I don't know if those things fixed it, but it's up.

I had to plug in my Trusty FVS336G just so I could look up the phone numbers for Netgear and Charter.  It always just works.  I wish the FVS318Gv2 did...

Ricky 

Message 2 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

Tldr:

• Power went out again...
  • FVS318Gv2 wont remain connected to the internet and locks up after 2-15 minutes
  • Changed MTU from 1500 to 1492
  • Called ISP and had them reset my profile (they say it’s reprovisioning the modem)
  • FVS336 works perfectly, but WAN throughput limited to 30mbps (I have 60mbps)
  • I currently have the FVS336 connected as this is the only way I can have stable internet.

I just got off the phone with netgear.  The call was well over an hour and the person on the phone was extremely polite.  I still have the same problem, the FVS318Gv2 will not remain connected to the internet) It’s HOT here in Texas and I guess we are beginning to have rolling blackouts.  The power went out today and I am still not able to get internet with the FVS318Gv2 for more than a few minutes before it locks up.

I have plugged/rebooted/unplugged the modem and the router in every configuration possible and the internet will work for about 5-15 minutes then the internet light will go out on the FVS318Gv2 and the router will locktup/hang and the only way to be able to access the web GUI is by unplugging/replugging in the router.

While on the phone it was suggested that I call my ISP and have them reset my profile.  I kept trying to explain that when I reboot my FVS318Gv2 and it stays connected for more then 20-30 minutes, everything works perfectly.  And that I have never had to have my ISP reset anything.

I was finding it hard to believe that my ISP (I guess while refusing the mac address of the router) could completely lock the router up… Then I remember this from several years ago.  I HAD A FVS124G AND WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER WOULD LOCK IT UP!!!  That’s right, everything would work, but the second I opened up Windows Live Messenger, the router would completely lock up.

This problem is different, because the internet goes down sometime after a couple minutes to 15-20 minutes.  If it stays up longer than that, it will work GREAT! I can’t recreate the issue to make it go down, it just locks up randomly sometime between turning on and 20 minutes.  I also can’t recreate any situation to keep the internet connection.  At least with the FVS124G the connection/router would stay up until I opened up and logged into Windows Live Messenger so I knew what the issue was.  Oh and the router has lifetime hardware, but not lifetime software and it was never replaced because the firmware would never be updated since it was EOL.

I kept telling the person from Netgear (I told a different person last week) that I can plug in my old FVS336G and everything would work great, no lockups and no reboots.  They said, then it’s obviously an issue with the ISP, because they still have the old info and that I need my ISP to reset my profile.  Did I mention that I had my ISP reset my profile (they say it’s reprovisioning my modem) last week with the FVS318Gv2 connected?  I called my ISP after my internet was stable and they reprovisioned my modem and it worked until the power went out this week.  It was also after changing the MTU to 1492, so I don’t know what worked or if this was the magic 1% of the time the FVS318Gv2 remains connected to the internet.

But here we are.  It’s been 9 hours and I still cannot get my FVS318Gv2 to remain connected to the internet.  So far I have changed the MTU to 1492, I called my ISP and had them reset my profile (reprovision my modem is what they call it) and it still doesn’t work.

For grins I thought that I would spoof my computer’s MAC address on my router. I did that un/replugged in everything and again, it worked for a few minutes then locked up.  I plugged in my FVS336Gv2 and spoofed this computers MAC address (I don’t know if that works or what, but I have the same settings on both routers now) and it works and I’m able to post, I just don’t see WAN throughput over 30mbps.

Any help would greatly be appreciated?

Ricky

Message 3 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

I think this will help.  Kindly access the Packet Capture Tool on the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2.  Go to Monitoring > Diagnostics.  Then on the Diagnostics page, see the Router Options.  Click the Packet Trace button then choose WAN on the Select Network options.  Check pages 384-385 of the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here.

Once you have started the packet capture, at the same time, begin to surf the Internet until the same problem occurs.  Stop the packet capture only when the problem has already recur then download the packet capture on your PC.  For the packet capture to be analyzed, I suggest you to attach the packet capture on the online case you have opened with NETGEAR.  It will be escalated to the engineering team to be studied and analyzed as to why the problem recurs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

That didn't seem to help Smiley Sad

I rebooted the FVS318Gv2, went to the Diagnostics page and began the packet trace

1.png

But... (and I was afraid of this)  When the internet light goes out, the router locks up.  So as soon as the internet light went out (after about 5 minutes) I clicked on stop and this is what happened.

2.png

I was still able to ping the router.

3.png

But this is nothing new... So I unplugged/plugged in the router, logged into the admin console and opened up the packet trace and clicked on stop, then download.  I don't know if anything even came up, but I have a pkt.cap file that is 24 bytes...

It seems that the packet trace will be impossible as the router locks up.  I've been trying to get it to connect for the past 2 hours.  I even called Charter again and had them reset my profile/ reprovision. 

I am currently connected to my FVS336 as that seems to be the only thing that works.

Ricky

Message 5 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

Just keep the 24-byte pkt.cap file and attach it to the online case you have opened. 

Another option is to enable Syslogs on your FVS318Gv2.  Here are the steps below:

a. Make your PC a Syslog Server.  You may download it for free like on this link.  Here is the link  as reference guide.

Note: You may also other Syslog Servers available online that you prefer.

b. On the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2, go to Monitoring > Firewall Logs & E-mail then scroll down to the Enable Syslogs portion.

c. Select Yes on "Do you want to enable syslog?"

d. Enter the IP address of the PC on the Syslog Server.

e. You may select "LOG DEBUG" on the Syslog Severity. 

f. Click Apply. 

Check pages 353-357 of the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here about enabling Sylogs.  

Started the syslogs and at the same time, surf the Internet until the same problem occurs.  Stop the syslogs only when the problem has already recur then download the system logs on your PC.  Then, attach the system logs together with the 24-byte pkt.cap file on the online case you have opened with NETGEAR.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

I tried tonight about 9.  I downloaded and setup the kiwi syslog server and I "think" I set it up per your instructions, but it didn't seem to work.  I"ll need to do some more work.  The syslog on my PC just sat there with nothing.  I expected to see a bunch of text.  I'll try again tomorrow.

I plugged in all my stuff into the FVS318Gv2 and it stayed on for about 10 minutes this time and the internet light went out and it locked up.

I unplugged everything and plugged it into the FVS336G and everything works... I just WAN throughput faster than 30mbps.

Message 7 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode, 

Let me share the article below.  I think its not the latest version of Kiwi Syslog Server and the NETGEAR device used in the article is already End-of-Life (EOL).  However, it might be helpful as a reference guide.

How to see NETGEAR UTM9s System logs using KIWI Syslog Server

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

There must be a step I'm missing.  Your guide is very helpful and that's what I did last night and tonight and still nothing.

Here is the IP of my desktop (192.168.0.2)

1.png

Here is the syslog setting on my router

2.png

Here is kiwi sitting on my desktop doing nothing

3.png

This is what I'm expecting (This is still my FVS336G connected, it has the same syslog setting and I wanted to get it to work and search online for help)  It is futile to attempt this with the FVS318Gv2 as it will lockup after several minutes.

4.png

Am I missing a setting or something? I'm pretty good at following instructions.  Netgear is emailing me wanting packet traces before and after it locks up.  That seems impossible because when it locks up, I get nothing.

Please advise.

Ricky

Message 9 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

Here are my follow-up questions:

a. Is the PC having the IP address of 192.168.0.2 connected directly to the FVS318Gv2?

b. On the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2, go to Monitoring > Firewall Logs & E-mail.  On the portion of System Logs, have you put a check mark on the system logs option then click Apply?

I believe that you have followed the instructions from the article I have provided.  Maybe you could politely ask the NETGEAR Support expert handling your online case to contact you then assist you on how to enable the system logs by having a remote access to your PC.  In this way, you could save time and you could get the syslogs needed to be analyzed by the engineering team.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

a. Is the PC having the IP address of 192.168.0.2 connected directly to the FVS318Gv2?

Yes

b. On the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2, go to Monitoring > Firewall Logs & E-mail.  On the portion of System Logs, have you put a check mark on the system logs option then click Apply?

Yes, this is on the FVS336G the one that is able to connect to the internet consistently.  I want to see the syslog work on this before I try the FVS318Gv2 which locks up.

4.png

I believe that you have followed the instructions from the article I have provided.  Maybe you could politely ask the NETGEAR Support expert handling your online case to contact you then assist you on how to enable the system logs by having a remote access to your PC.  In this way, you could save time and you could get the syslogs needed to be analyzed by the engineering team.

Thank you, this is a good suggestion and I will ask them.  But first, I will reply to their last response in this post as well.

1. Run Kiwi sylog server and go to File > Setup. Please make sure that both Display and Log to file are enabled.  Done see screenshot below.

1.png
2. On the Log to file please go to Path and file name of log file and browse for a folder where you want to save the logs and name the file.  Done see screenshot below. 

2.png
3. Go to Log to Syslog Web Access > Action and make sure that Log to Syslog Web Access is enabled. This might be the issue as I cannot find Syslog Web Access > Action.

4. Access the router's UI and go to Monitoring > Firewall & Email. Check all the box under System Logs.  Done see screenshot below.

4.png

5. Enable Syslogs and provide the syslog server's IP address. Please change the Syslog Severity to Log Info.  Done see screenshot below.

3.png
6. Check if the Sylog Server able to capture the logs of the router and once problem occurred, allow 1-2 minutes then stop the syslog capture. Locate the file and attach it to the case.  I'd love to, if this would even work.  I'm trying to get the syslog to work on the FVS336G, because if Netgear remotes into my system to look into the FVS318Gv2 it will lock up in 5 minutes or so.

Please advise

Ricky

Message 11 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

Check the image below.  Does it not show the same thing on your PC?  Kindly go to this link as reference.  If ever the link does not help, kindly search for a how-to video(s) in YouTube on how to set up the Kiwi Syslog Server.  

Kindly change the Syslog Severity to LOG DEBUG. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

Thanks, but mine looks a bit different than that...  It's missing the webaccess part... It is version (Free Version 9.5)

1.png

Netgear called on Friday to setup a remote session, but I was at work.  

Ricky

Message 13 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

I upgraded the firmware, plugged in and turned on the modem, connection dropped in about 5 minutes. Unplugged/plugged in FVS318 went into the web GUI, changed mac address to default (I used to spoof my desktop PC) disabled the DNS Proxy. rebooted via the GUI and unplugged/plugged in the cable modem and it "took"

I don't know which of the things I did to make it work... I'm sure I'll post again as soon as the power goes out.

Until then netgear called and remoted into my PC.  We spent over an hour and he couldn't get the syslogs to work either, so who knows.  We downloaded the trial version with the web stuff, but it didn't work either.

Ricky

Message 14 of 30
shiekh
Guide

Firmware 4.3.3-8 or 4.3.4-1?

Message 15 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

The newest one 4.3.4-1

Message 16 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

Since Kiwi Syslog Server won't work, kindly try the PRTG Syslog Server.  I have just found this online.  You can download it here.  For reference guide, kindly read page 3048-3054 of the PTRG Network Monitor user manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

I am just not having any luck with this.  I added the sensor, put in the info, let it run and no messages.  In the screen shot below, I circled the times in the log and my system clock and the fact that there were ZERO messages in the new PRTG network monitor.

syslog.PNG

So who knows what's going on.  I may have a setting wrong in this setup as well.

Ricky

Message 18 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

Kindly access this video I found in Youtube about configuring PRTG Syslog receiver. 

This link might also help as reference guide.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

The Video helped immensely.  At 45 seconds in she said, “The very first step in configuring as syslog receiver is to configure end-devices to send the syslog to PRTG.  Unfortunately, I can’t show you how to do that because it’s different for every device, but it is usually fairly straightforward you usually need to put in the IP address and maybe the port of the target syslog server which in this case will be PRTG…”

So I went through the setup again and put in the IP of the computer where I installed PRTG and again it didn’t work…  Then, just for grins, instead of putting in the IP address of my local machine, I put in "PRTG".

PRTG2.PNG

What do you know, it worked!  You can see below where I entered in the PW incorrectly and then finally logged in.  I’ll have the syslog ready next time the power goes out and we can escalate this to Tier 3 to see what’s really going on.

PRTG1.PNG

Thank you for your help and link to the video.

Ricky

Message 20 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

You're welcome! 🙂  I am glad that the video has helped.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 30
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rickgode,

Were you able to submit the syslogs via the online case you have opened with NETGEAR Support?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 30
SamirD
Prodigy

This may be a silly question, but how do you know the 318 is locked up?  

The reason I say this is because my fvs318n acts like it's locked up too 10-15m after booting.  But if I wait a good 30-45m, it's up and up solid--19 and 43 days respectively for the two that I have in service; and the 19 day one was put in service 19 days ago.

I would try just letting it sit there for an hour after booting before trying to access the Internet and see what happens.  And I'd check the log files for anything unusual too.  I discovered one of my FVS318N's having a memory issue when it seemed dead--it was actually having a problem allocating IP addresses.  (It was tedious to work around the problem, but I did.)

Hopefully it will just be 'normal' when it gets fully booted and you can just put a small ups on it and not worry about it anymore.

Message 23 of 30
shiekh
Guide

Who can wait 30-45mins for the network to come up?

but certainly worth confirming.

Message 24 of 30
rickgode
Aspirant

"How do I know it's locked up?"  I'm able to ping it, but the GUI is non responsive and there is no network connectivity.  It's been up since August 24th.  I'm reluctant to turn if off, just to see if it would come back.

When this issue happened mid-August, I would leave it on all night and it still would be locked up in the morning.

I'm sure there will be a storm soon enough and the power will go out again, then I'll know if the things I did fixed it.

Ricky

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements