× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Isolation vs Protected Ports

Electrical
Tutor

Port Isolation vs Protected Ports

I'm considering changing my port security settings to provide port isolation for my access points. I understand that an isolated VLAN requires a VLAN but are there any other major differences between creating a group of isolated ports vs enabling port security for the same ports? Is one type of isolation preferred over the other?

Model: M4100-24G-POE+ (GSM7224Pv1h2)|ProSafe 24 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Port Isolation vs Protected Ports

@Electrical

In Port Security, when a port is locked, only packets with an allowable source MAC addresses can be forwarded and all other packets are discarded.  Whereas, if Isolated Group Mode is configured, the member port in the group cannot forward its egress traffic to any other members in the same group.  As reference, kindly read pages 313-314 and 318-319 of the M4100 user manual here.  

It would be best if you post an image of your current network setup and indicate the changes you want to implement so that community members may chime in and post their suggestions. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Electrical

In Port Security, when a port is locked, only packets with an allowable source MAC addresses can be forwarded and all other packets are discarded.  Whereas, if Isolated Group Mode is configured, the member port in the group cannot forward its egress traffic to any other members in the same group.  As reference, kindly read pages 313-314 and 318-319 of the M4100 user manual here.  

It would be best if you post an image of your current network setup and indicate the changes you want to implement so that community members may chime in and post their suggestions. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Electrical
Tutor

It looks like Protected Ports is what I need for my configuration. Thanks for helping clarify!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements