× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RSTP and Edge Port question?

phpree
Follower

RSTP and Edge Port question?

Please bare with me, i'm not a network guy, however, i seem to have inherited the role over time!

We have around 20 Netgear ProSafe switches throughout the organisation. The core stack consists of several M4300 switches (stacked) and we have numerous M5300 switches, throughout the building. These connect back to the core stack via 2 x 10GB SFP (lag). 

We recently had an instance where a user caused a broadcast storm/loop. Therefore, I'd like to rollout RSTP across the switches, however, having read documentation it mentioned i should also consider utilising EdgePort and BPDU Guard. It then mentions EdgePort should only be enabled for ports which devices connect to. This seems somewhat contradictory? If enabling EdgePort, on a bunch of switch ports, does this then disable RSTP for those ports?

As mentioned, networking isnt my forte!
If anyone can offer some advise or a simple explanation, id be very grateful.  

Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RSTP and Edge Port question?

@phpree,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Edge ports are configure on ports wherein the devices directly connected to it are workstations or computers since they cannot create bridging loops in the network.

Do not configure Edge port on ports where the devices such as switches participate in RSTP.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements