× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

External antenna Connectors on AC 790S

Amzerzo
Follower

External antenna Connectors on AC 790S

Hi,

Since a few month i've an Aircard 790S, unlocked model. I'm in France and i use this hotspot to connect to 4G LTE (bande B3 and B7).

It works great when the signal level is OK : 3 barres or more . But often i've only 1 or 2 barres reception signal level, and it difficult to stay connected.

So i've try to connect external TS9 antennas (netgear Antenna) at the rear of the AC790S: the result is the same, no more level barres, as if the antenna was not working.

I've tried in many places and i've not been able to get a better reception barre level.

So i try an other antenna: cheap mimo antenna from China. again no result? Probably normal...

As anybody already try to connect external antenna on the AC 790S ? If yes I will be interessed by the result and also with which antenna ?

Before decide to buy a more expensive antenna, like a mimo yagi for exemple, i want to be sure than the AC 790S is working with external antenna?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 3
UK-based
Luminary

Re: External antenna Connectors on AC 790S

This guy used an old TV aerial and a piece of copper wire Smiley LOL. I'm not suggesting you do likewise, but it does seem to suggest that the TS-9 connectors can improve the signal strength with the right antenna. There are more references to antennas in that forum discussion - just do a search for antenna in the discussion. Here's another comment re. using 2 antennas.

I don't have the AC790S - I've got the Nighthawk M1 (MR1100). Here's the antenna I'm using, which increased my signal level from 2/3 bars to 5 bars.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 3
Richard_J
Tutor

Re: External antenna Connectors on AC 790S

I'm also using an external antenna for Netgear AC790, it works fine. Perhaps it's not the antenna problem, it's the network coverage problem. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7