× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

How to connect M6 pro to existing router.

Dburnz88
Aspirant

How to connect M6 pro to existing router.

Hi there,

We recently purchased an M6 pro running on Telstra as an alternative to our slow ADSL connection.

Although I have 6 devices already configured through cat6 connections and would like to retain this network but add internet connectivity to the network by using the new M6 pro.

Does anyone know where to start as far as settings go. Our service provider could not assist and avoiding extended wait times to the call centre.

Router is Asus RT-AC88U
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How to connect M6 pro to existing router.

have you tried connecting your router to it with your router in access point mode?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

have you tried connecting your router to it with your router in access point mode?

Message 2 of 5
Dburnz88
Aspirant

Hi & thank you for the reply.

I did see this function in router options. I will try this out.

I was unsure if in addition to something like this I need to set the M6 pro to disable its wifi and supply via Ethernet point only.
Message 3 of 5
Dburnz88
Aspirant

I have partially resolved this issue.

I have achieved internet supply over Ethernet connection by disabling wifi on nighthawk M6 pro & setting router to ‘Access Point’ mode.

This said I am getting some IP conflicts & DNS errors whilst loading some web pages, this is going to be resolved tomorrow by an IT consultant.

Netgear advised that the M6 pro does not have ‘Bridge Mode’ and also suggested turning off DHCP on the modem. With DHCP I found there to be more problems though.
Message 4 of 5
O_F
Guide
Guide

I have an M6 Pro on Telstra connected to an Orbi Mesh system.

I’ve turned off IP Passthrough because, just like with the M5 I had before, I couldn’t get the full speed of my 5G connection over passthrough on the M6 Pro either. I never used passthrough on the M5 because it was quite buggy and made the modem unstable, I was ok with the double NAT setup so never bothered with passthrough on the M6. Besides, if you have a Telstra retail (non-business) connection, then you’ll be behind a CGNAT, so it doesn’t matter anyway.

Here is my config:

On M6 Pro

• Settings > General > Internet > Mobile cellular
  • Settings > General > WiFi band > Turn off wifi (because I use the WiFi on my mesh system)
  • Settings > General > Power manager > AC powered (I’ve removed the battery to save the battery and run the modem cooler)
  • Settings > Advanced > Mobile router setup >
    • Gateway IP: 192.168.1.1
    • Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    • DNS: Auto
    • IP Passthrough: Off
    • DHCP: Use DHCP (ticked), starting IP : 192.168.1.2 End : 192.168.1.99
    • Ethernet: Enabled
    • Ethernet Port: 2.5GBaseT
  • Settings > Advanced >Cellular
    • Data (ticked)
    • Band: LTE and NR5G
    • APN: telstra.internet

On the Orbi Router

• WAN settings
    • Static IP: 192.168.1.2
    • Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    • Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
  • LAN Settings
    • IP: 192.168.0.1
    • Use DHCP: Yes

I've been running a similar config on my previous M5 for over a year without no issues, and now on the M6 Pro for about a month since I got it. Running extremely stable and getting around 500Mbps. I'd say try running both the M6 and your router in router mode. Because there is no disadvantage to doing it since you don't have a public IP (unless you have a business connection and made a special request for a public IP), therefore can't do port forwarding or use DDNS, VPN features of your router.  

I'm using OpenVPN Cloud for remoting into the home network from outside. All my IoT devices, security system and CCTV cameras are working perfectly fine without any issues.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7