× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

How to create new APN with Netgear 770S

Hotspot4U
Initiate

How to create new APN with Netgear 770S

Hi - I'm new here and hope you can help. I want to switch my AT&T Unite 770S hotspot from AT&T to Consumer Cellular's service, where I can continue to use the AT&T network but at a more affordable price for me. I got an unlock code from AT&T for the hotpot, but after talking with AT&T, they decided my hotspot must "already be unlocked" since when I put the Consumer Cellular SIM in the hotpot, it immediately showed the signal from Consumer Cellular (CC Network, at 4G, 3 bars). (ALso, none of the unlocking directions applied -- when I insert the Consumer Cellular SIM, there is no way to enter the unlock code -- no keypad appears, etc.)

However, even though the hotspot shows the Consumer Cellular signal, the hotspot won't connect to the internet. Consumer Cellular tried to figure out why, but couldn't. I have a hunch (?) that the hotspot needs to have a new APN created for the Consumer Cellular network, in order to connect to the internet.

I have the APN specs needed from Consumer Cellular, but I can't get the hotspot to create a new APN (under Network>APN). When I fill in the required APN spaces and click the plus sign, I just get an error message.

Can anyone help? I'd like to avoid having to buy Consumer Cellular's own ZTE hotspot for $80.

Thanks!

Model: AirCard 770S (AT&T)|AT&T Unite,AirCard 770S|AirCard 770S (AT&T Unite) Mobile Hotspot
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How to create new APN with Netgear 770S

Hello hotspot4U

You may want to try this unlock process.

https://kb.netgear.com/23681/How-do-I-unlock-my-AirCard-in-AirCard-Watcher

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Hotspot4U
Initiate

Re: How to create new APN with Netgear 770S

SOLVED

DarrenM -

Thanks for your suggestion. I solved the problem: My Aircard 770S was already unlocked, this was not the obstacle. Instead it turned out that several online sites give the incorrect APN specs for Consumer Cellular. To get the Aircard 770S to establish a new APN, you have to have correct APN specs (apparently, it checks to make sure there is a carrier with those specs before it will create a new APN).

In case other Consumer Cellular customers want to be able to use an already unlocked AT&T Unite 770S Aircard, they need to input the following in the Unite Manager>Network>APN where there is a blank line below the existing APN data that you can enter information in:

APN name: CC Network

and then in the column immediately to the right: ccdata

Once this information is entered, click on the + sign, and a new APN is created.

You then need to remove your old SIM card and insert your new Consumer Cellular SIM card, go back to the Unite Manager > APN, and click the button to the left of the APN for Consumer Cellular.

You should then be connected to Consumer Cellular's network. If not, try rebooting your Aircard.

Model: AirCard 770S|AirCard 770S (AT&T Unite) Mobile Hotspot
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7