× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100-100 LTE router : can I configure it to act only as WiFI repeater ?

UweK
Tutor

MR1100-100 LTE router : can I configure it to act only as WiFI repeater ?

Hello, have the Nighthawk MR1100-100 in my mobilehome / motorcaravan and works technically fine.

here my issue and question :

to save LTE datavolume I am using Dataoffloading as much as I can in campsite or open Wifis ( as recommended in the manual )

but when the wifi disappears ( pretty often on campsites ), the connection switches back to LTE, consumes my datavolume and I don‘t know about it. ( netgear telephone support told me that I can see this on the screen. true, but seriously: who checks the connection on the display every time, especially in a car or boat )

so what I looking for is a setting to let the router only work a wifi router, no fallback to LTE ( configurable with a setting in the app )

Having such a configuration and if the wifi is gone, I will see it on the tablet ( internet does not work ) and can decide what to do. But at the moment I can't easily see that the wifi of the campsite is gone and will happily download all the app updates from my mobile data volume.

is this possible, a good idea or am I the only one with that problem ?

at the moment I have bought a second ( very old and slow ) only wifi repeater to overcome that problem. When I am on a campsite I switch the Nighthawk off and use the other one. Not great to have a great product like the netgear and being forced to have such a poor workaround 

many thx so far and best regards from Germany 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
UweK
Tutor

Re: MR1100-100 LTE router : can I configure it to act only as WiFI repeater ?

Hi Christian, found the setting ‚Daten im Heimnetzwerk‘, sounded to me as something around local wifi at home, hence I never played with that.

Toggling this disables Mobile Data - exactly what I wanted !!

connecting to a wifi with mobile data disabled works, but the network diagramm of the App shows LTE not connected (correct) and Wifi  not connected as well ( not correct ). 

The display on the router itself shows lTE not connected, but Wifi connectd ( which is correct )

its a bit misleading, but seems to work. A bit disappointing that Network support has no idea and clearly told me on the phone ‘not possible’

many thx for your help 

F3F1E18E-B263-434B-AFAB-4EBFD66D3D41.jpeg166E35F0-8FE6-459A-9294-43D0C9E671B6.png

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
UweK
Tutor

Hi IOSMAN

I didn‘t post a solution !

I have  problem with the handling of the router and the official Netgear Support told me on the phone it is not possible to do what I want.

even more disappointing : if I take out the SIM card to be sure the mobile data is not used, then the router will not work at all.

Netgear Support team recommended to post my problem here, and I should pray that a Netgear Software Engineer is reading it and migth implement this in a future FW release.

this is the most expensive router you can buy in Germany and now I find out this issue ... I am a bit disappointed I have to say. But I hope someone will read this from Netgear

Message 2 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @UweK and @iosman

To turn off the mobile data on your MR1100, please go to the NETGEAR mobile app>settings>toggle the Domestic Data bar to gray. From here you'll be able to have the data off and can be manually turned on whenever necessary. 

~Christian

Message 3 of 6
UweK
Tutor

Hi Christian,

I cannot find such a setting ...

Domestic Data sounds a bit like Roaming ( if I am outside Germany ).

do you mean switching Roaming off ? 

Roaming is not my issue.

I want be able to manually disable LTE/Mobile data on the MR1100 once I connected to a wifi ( campsite, friends, Mcdonalds etc ). 

I want to avoid that I believe I am connected to a wifi, but in fact the MR1100 is using mobile data again. Independent from any roaming.

I tried to take  out my SIM already, but then the router will not work at all. 

Message 4 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@UweK - There should be 2 options to toggle: Domestic Data and International Roaming

~Christian 

Message 5 of 6
UweK
Tutor

Hi Christian, found the setting ‚Daten im Heimnetzwerk‘, sounded to me as something around local wifi at home, hence I never played with that.

Toggling this disables Mobile Data - exactly what I wanted !!

connecting to a wifi with mobile data disabled works, but the network diagramm of the App shows LTE not connected (correct) and Wifi  not connected as well ( not correct ). 

The display on the router itself shows lTE not connected, but Wifi connectd ( which is correct )

its a bit misleading, but seems to work. A bit disappointing that Network support has no idea and clearly told me on the phone ‘not possible’

many thx for your help 

F3F1E18E-B263-434B-AFAB-4EBFD66D3D41.jpeg166E35F0-8FE6-459A-9294-43D0C9E671B6.png

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7