× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Need help with some MR5200 Features

Night-Owl
Tutor

Need help with some MR5200 Features

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me as i've tried 3 times to speak to Neargear support through live chat and just keep getting told they are not trained on the product, or i'm given incorrect advice, or being told the device doesn't support the feature when the option is right there in the web control panel. Also the manual is either not very descriptive or missing information depending on these feature. I'm really shocked considering it's a £700+ Mi-Fi device and the lack of support for this product. 

So I'm tyring to find information on the following features of the MR5200:

1) "Always on Wi-Fi", Netgear support tells me when the the device is plugged into my network and this is enabled it will provide a redundant connection for my network, only kicking in when my router's landline goes down. That doesn't really sound anything like a feature called "Always on Wi-Fi" and considering it's already plugged into my network and acting as secondary line already without this enabled I just don't believe this. Furthermore my router doesn't pass any information like this onto the Mi-Fi device so I just don't find this at all plausible.... Can anyone shed any light on this feature?

2) "Data Offloading", Nergear support tells me this feature isn't supported by my device which again I find hard to believe as the feature is there and selectable in the web control panel interface.

Now just a couple of simple questions:

3) "IP Passthrough", I believe this is "Bridge mode" but looking for confimation?

4) "WiFi Standby", Obviously this goes into stanby when no one is connected but if it does how do you re-connect to the device? Must it be restarted?

5) "Ethernet Standby", is this only for when no devices are connected by Ethernet or just not tranmitting data? And ss per the WiFi Standby question above, must it be rebooted if it goes into Ethernet Standby mode?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Need help with some MR5200 Features

Hi @Night-Owl ,

1.  Always on WiFi - When plugged into a power source, your WiFi will never go into standby mode.

2.  Data Offloading - This feature allows you to offload your data connection to something hanging off the ethernet port(Fixed line connection).  If you unplug the ethernet cable of fixed line modem goes down then it will revert back to using the mobile connection.  This feature also allows you to offload data to a WiFi connection when you are travelling(i.e hotel WiFi).

3.  IP Passthrough - This is bridge mode

4.  WiFi Standby - This setting allows you to configure when to turn your WiFi off if nothing is connected.  Helps to preserve battery life if not in use.  WiFi will not go into standby if plugged into a power source.  Press the power button to wake it up if it does go into standby.

5.  Ethernet Standby - 2 minutes is the default shut off if there is no activity.  Press the power button to wake it up if it goes into standby.  Also to preserve battery life.  Ethernet will not go into standby if plugged into a power source.

Regards,

ArodiD

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Night-Owl
Tutor

anyone?

Message 2 of 5
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Night-Owl ,

1.  Always on WiFi - When plugged into a power source, your WiFi will never go into standby mode.

2.  Data Offloading - This feature allows you to offload your data connection to something hanging off the ethernet port(Fixed line connection).  If you unplug the ethernet cable of fixed line modem goes down then it will revert back to using the mobile connection.  This feature also allows you to offload data to a WiFi connection when you are travelling(i.e hotel WiFi).

3.  IP Passthrough - This is bridge mode

4.  WiFi Standby - This setting allows you to configure when to turn your WiFi off if nothing is connected.  Helps to preserve battery life if not in use.  WiFi will not go into standby if plugged into a power source.  Press the power button to wake it up if it does go into standby.

5.  Ethernet Standby - 2 minutes is the default shut off if there is no activity.  Press the power button to wake it up if it goes into standby.  Also to preserve battery life.  Ethernet will not go into standby if plugged into a power source.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 3 of 5
Night-Owl
Tutor

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about from Netgear!!! Thank you!!!

I've been on the live chat 3 times now and no one has been able to help me, just guessing, telling lies and even leaving the chat pretending the line went dead because they don't know.

So I just want to confirm i'm understanding this correctly with the "Data Offloading" feature as it it confusing me a little....

Am I right in thinking this works opposite to the way the device normally works? It will take the WAN connection from whatever network the ethernet is connected to (using the networks DHCP server, you cannot assign an IP?) and use that rather than the LTE connection?

But as soon as you unplug the WiFi it switches to LTE again? Thus saving your LTE data and allowing all your devices connected to the MiFi to tether off the network it's plugged into/or Offloading by from another WiFi network?

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 5
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Night-Owl ,

Am I right in thinking this works opposite to the way the device normally works? It will take the WAN connection from whatever network the ethernet is connected to (using the networks DHCP server, you cannot assign an IP?) and use that rather than the LTE connection?

Yes, you are right.  The LAN port becomes a WAN port when Data Offloading to Ethernet is enabled.  It will only use 5G or 4G connection if Ethernet WAN is down.

But as soon as you unplug the WiFi it switches to LTE again? Thus saving your LTE data and allowing all your devices connected to the MiFi to tether off the network it's plugged into/or Offloading by from another WiFi network?

As soon as you unplug the Ethernet Cable(if offloading via Ethernet) or loses range of WiFi(if offloading via WiFi) it will start using the 5G or 4G connection.  If Ethernet cable is plugged in(and fixed connection is up) or if it comes into proximity of WiFi signal(i.e when you come home from travelling) then it will switch back to the fixed connection and your 5G/4G connection will not be in use.

Regards,

Arodi

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7