× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Mingle (778S) operating without battery on ac power possible?

sharpie510
Follower

Netgear Mingle (778S) operating without battery on ac power possible?

I am looking to buy a hotspot stricly on 4G LTE.  I see the Netgear Mingle on freedompop for $20 with 500mb data free every month.  I would like to use this just to monitor a Nest Thermostat in my vacation home so I want to keep the hotspot on all the time.  Does anyone know if I can operate the hotspot with the battery removed and running solely on USB AC power?  I suppose I could just keep the battery in and also run on USB, but I think for safety it would be preferable to run it with the battery removed.  Anyone know if this is possible?  I know other hotspots like the Sierra Wireless 803s can do this.  Thanks.

Model: AirCard 778S (Virgin Mobile)|NETGEAR® MINGLE™ Mobile Hotspot
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear Mingle (778S) operating without battery on ac power possible?

Hello Sharpie510

Yes this will run just fine with no battery and just being plugged in.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
jimb_fromATL
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Mingle (778S) operating without battery on ac power possible?

I have a VirginMobile Netgear Mingle modem.  Not only will it NOT work without a battery,  In fact it soon started giving a chronic error message that there is no battery even when there IS a battery.      Also stops working when the message is that the battery is fully charged, and requires power-off and back on to use it.

Removing the battery,  reseting, etc would fix the problem for a few minutes or a few hours.

Since it was out of warranty I  was told it had to be replaced by purchasing a new one. Naively thought it was just that single modem so bought another, but noooooo. The new one devloped the same problem very soon.  I see from other threads that other netgear hotspot modems have the same problem.

So in answer to the registration question, no, I do not want updates about new netgear products.

jimb

Model: AirCard 301U (Telstra)|Telstra Turbo™ (USB 301),AirCard 778S (Virgin Mobile)|NETGEAR® MINGLE™ Mobile Hotspot
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7