× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

New Firmware Released for AT&T 12.02.06.01

JSchnee21
Virtuoso

New Firmware Released for AT&T 12.02.06.01

Hi Everyone,

It seems a new firmware was released today for the US AT&T version of the MR1100.  I manually check for an update at 11:55pm on 19-Jun-2018.

In my case:

Hardware Version 1.0
Firmware & Bootloader Versions NTG9X50C_12.02.06.01

Firmware Build Date 07-Jun-2018

PRI Version 02.15

GUI Version MR1HDATA_04.01.55.02

It took quite a while (several minutes each) to download and install.  I could see on the display it went through multiple upgrade cycles / sections with a few (intentional) automatic restarts during the process.

I was kindof disappoint to see such a small point release x.x.x.01 given both the time since the last update and the amount of time it took to download and install.

No obvious differences yet.  Of course release notes would be too much to ask.

For what it's worth, my MR1100 (pre-update today) has been somewhat more stable as of late.  The number of spotaneous reboots running on battery under light to moderate load seems to have descreased.  Most the instability / failure to shutdown / reboot properly / and charging related weirdness seems to be related to the stupid software power button and the code it drives.  Generally solvable by removing the battery and reinstalling.  But a hassle none the less.

While my MR1100 continues to have a slight performance edge on my Velocity 2 (approx 5-10 Mbit/sec faster under the same conditions) the Velocity 2 gets better reception.  Neither is as fast as my iPhone 6s.

We'll see what this new firmware brings.  I recently hit 140Mbit down in my area on my iPhone 6s (not very remarkable I realize).  Historically the MR1100 gets ~105-110 in this same location (NJTPK-PATPK connector toll plaza by by big blue water tower).

For some reason my iPhone 6s gets much better upload speeds (~20-40Mbit today) than either hotspot (MR1100 and Velocity 2) which struggle to eek out ~10-20Mbit.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: New Firmware Released for AT&T 12.02.06.01

Hi JSchnee21, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Thank you for sharing the result after updating the firmware. How was the connection so far using the updated firmware? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 5
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi Blanca,

Thank you for following up.  Unfortunately, I've not had much of a chance to test it since upgrading.  My kids have been taking it back and forth to camp/school/etc. so I've not had a chance to exstensively test it on my usual 90min drive to and from work.  Hopefully I can test it later this week.

It's likely just a fluke, but this morning I got ~40mbit at home (~6am) where I normally only see 20-25Mbit.

But overall, the stability of the device seems to be improving. When I first got the device (two firmwares ago) it would crash nearly every day, sometimes more than once.  Recently, I've not had a crash in several weeks.

-Jonathan

Message 3 of 5
bkvargyas
Aspirant

How does anyone get the firmware to update on this ATT MR1100?   I seem to be infinitely stuck at 10.20.05.02, and my software always says "Up to date".    I've tried battery in, battery out.  Factory result multiple times, taking the unit on trips to see if location matters (it doesn't).   Different power supplies....nothing will update the firmware on my unit --- HELP!   And I've got that battery problem that if it drains, it's very hard to get it to recharge again....    About to take it to an ATT store to see if I can get the unit swapped out to a different one.

image.png

Message 4 of 5
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi bkvargyas,

Very strange, I've had no issues detecting, downloading, and installing new firmwares from AT&T/Netgear.  I would definately take it to and AT&T store and try to get it swapped out.  Hopefully you'll get the newer hardware version which supports Band 14 at the same time.

-Jonathan

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7