× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nightwawk M1 data offloading to public wifi

Sukij
Aspirant

Nightwawk M1 data offloading to public wifi

Hi..

My mobile operator provide wifi hotspot

1.  Auto-login.  When sim card in the phone, it's automatically connect to wifi when it's in range.

2.  Login via Web login page.

I try to setup M1 to offload the cellular data to wifi hotspot, both Auto-login and Login via web using username and password just won't work.  Seems like it's unable to login to wifi hotspot.

Please help and provide recommendation.  I find only 1 topic concerning the public wifi in the community but it's also won't work for me.

Thanks

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nightwawk M1 data offloading to public wifi

@Sukij wrote:

I try to setup M1 to offload the cellular data to wifi hotspot, both Auto-login and Login via web using username and password just won't work.  Seems like it's unable to login to wifi hotspot.

It's not unable to login, it can't connect to a hotspot. These mobile routers can use either Mobile Data (WWAN) or wired/Ethernet based offloading - however, there is no wireless client to establish a wireless WiFi Internet connection to the hotspot. 

Not aware that mobile phones can use a WiFi connection towards the Internet (regardless if EAP-SIM, form based auth, or any other direct WLAN) while concurrently operating as a wireless AP. When enabling tethering and the mobile phone hotspot, the WiFi access to the Internet is disabled. 

Message 2 of 4
Sukij
Aspirant

Ummm??  I think we missing the point..

I mean Operator give me a SIM which able to use 4G or login to Operator WiFi hotspot.

When I put this SIM into my phone and if it find the Operator Wifi Hotspot in range (like in department store), it will automatically login to Wifi Hotspot and disable 4G.

What I expect is that if the put the same SIM into M1, and the Wifi hotspot is in range, M1 should automatically login to Operator Wifi hotspot, same as when the phone is in the phone or same as when I am at home, M1 will automatically offloading to my home Wifi router.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Sukij wrote:

What I expect is that if the put the same SIM into M1, and the Wifi hotspot is in range, M1 should automatically login to Operator Wifi hotspot, same as when the phone is in the phone or same as when I am at home, ...

Perfectly understood. As I said: One one hand the M1 does not have the capability for offloading to a WiFi Internet (no WiFi client, and no SIM-EAP support), and on the other hand I'm convinced your mobile phones can't concurrently use the provider WiFi hotspot and serve as a WiFi AP for tethering. Essentially, the M1 (and the M2) are mobile phone platforms with some added capabilities.

You might want to promote developing this capability with Netgear on the Idea Exchange For Home

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7