× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

excessive data download download with Netgear LB2120 4G

WallyJ
Aspirant

excessive data download download with Netgear LB2120 4G

Hi 

I recently purchased a 4G LB2120 modem to use in bridge mode with a Telstra SIM. The purpose was this to act as a backup intermet connection in case my usual internet connecion fails.  Within 10 days it had chewed up over 400GB data without our knowledge. Looking into the download rate, it seems to be constantly downloading 117mb every 3 minutes. There was absolutely nothing connected to it that could possible download so much data. From what I read, this may be a knwon problem for bridge mode and telstra - something to do with minumum packet download size? has anyone else had an issue and if so, any solutions? 

Model: LG2210|3G/4G LTE Gateways
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
WallyJ
Aspirant

Re: excessive data download download with Netgear LB2120 4G

No i didnt 

i disconnected it, restored it and then cinnected it as a DHCP not bridge and the problem resolved. I think its something to do with the way telstra handles these modems .....

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
mallinss
Aspirant

Hi,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this ???

I have the exact same issue almost to the letter...

Just moved from Optus 4G where I have no issues to Telstra 4G, and straight away, 100GB burned off in 117MB blocks every 4 minutes, exactly....

I also use this model in Bridge mode.....

I have changed back to a Netgear 812 Modem for now, no issues at all....unfortunately, this modem is no good for my use, I need to go back to a modem I can bridge and output via ethernet.

Regards

Steve

Message 2 of 4
WallyJ
Aspirant

No i didnt 

i disconnected it, restored it and then cinnected it as a DHCP not bridge and the problem resolved. I think its something to do with the way telstra handles these modems .....

Message 3 of 4
mallinss
Aspirant

Very interesting.... I was considering this, but I don't want to get into a double NAT sceanario with my other Ubiquiti components....

A shame Netgear / Telstra have not sorted this, as Telstra told me last week that this model Netgear modem was a supported version.....seems hardly a supported version if its causing excess data usage with nothing plugged in...

Thanks for the prompt response.

Steve

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7