× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

how to connect voip phone to ATT nighthawk LTE

lguo2013
Aspirant

how to connect voip phone to ATT nighthawk LTE

I recently got a ATT nighthawk mobile hotspot and have an avaya 9600 voip phone at home. I was wondering if there is a way to connect the hotspot to the voip phone, I tried connecting the ethernet cable but it doesn't work 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 4
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: how to connect voip phone to ATT nighthawk LTE

Hi Iguo2013,

Can you please identify what model the ATT nighthawk mobile hotspot? Thank you

- Jason N

Message 2 of 4
lguo2013
Aspirant

The model is the mr1100 from att
Message 3 of 4
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @lguo2013,

Many have reported previously that the Ethernet port goes to sleep if it does not detect a link on hotspot boot up.  In the most recent version of AT&T/MR1100 firmware (from 28-Feb-2018) there is a power save setting for the Ethernet port.  The default is 2min but you can change it to disable.  NOTE you have to use Chrome as the control doesn't seem to work with Safari (on my iPhone at least).  

Also note, some have reported that the MDI/MDIX function doesn't seem to work right on the MR1100.  Anditionally the hotspot might not like being connected to a POE switch.  So you may need to:

1) turn off hotspot

2) cable it to a dumb, non-POE layer2 switch (like the Netgear GS105 or FS105)

3) cable you VOIP phone to the same switch

4) ensure you VOIP phone is set for DHCP

5) Power on the hotspot and verify you have link lights from the Hotspot to the switch and the VOIP phone to the switch.

6) Wait for the hotspot to boot fully.  Then Reboot the phone so that it leases a new IP from the hotspot.

I assume your VOIP phone is with some internet service provider?

-Jonathan

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7