Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to disable / deactivate Armor on RBR50?

downsc
Initiate

How to disable / deactivate Armor on RBR50?

Hey team,

I've enabled Armor on my Orbi RBR50 but decided I no longer wish to use it, is there a way to remove it without needing to factory reset the entire device

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 74
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post this here and ask.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Possibly might have to reset...

@downsc wrote:

Hey team,

I've enabled Armor on my Orbi RBR50 but decided I no longer wish to use it, is there a way to remove it without needing to factory reset the entire device

Message 2 of 74
SimonBelgium
Guide

Found it...

I'm using the iOS app, and here's where it's at...

When you're logged in, you're on the page with the big icons (you'll see the Armor Security icon as "Activated")

Now click the HOME icon on the top left.

Click SETTINGS

You should see a menu with Router Settings, Wifi Settings, etc

From the list, select SECURITY

Now you should see a toggle switch to turn OFF the Netgear Armor.

Even though the main icon will still say ACTIVE, it will be off. If you open the orbilogon.com page on your computer, you'll see it's off.

Message 3 of 74
danny07
Tutor

Thank you, I couldn't find that.  I guess I should know better than to look in the "armor" settings to disable armor.  

Message 4 of 74
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 74
danny07
Tutor

I searched there and did not find the answer.  I did see posts in the Armor forum with the same question, and you replying that people should look in the Armor forum.  Muy helpful.  

Google brought me to the answer above.  

Message 6 of 74
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 74
Sven62
Tutor

Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 74
Southy
Tutor

This is NOT a fix. Despite it being toggled to "off" it is very much still on and hobbling my use of sites. It completely blocks the use of the App Store on ipad. I can no longer download any apps without first disconnecting from the Orbi mesh and connecting to a wifi hotspot on my android phone. I will box this damned thing up tomorrow if a fix can't be offered. How can a company be so bloody negligent, shafting its  customers with what amounts to little more than malware. Unable to use Tidal on Sonos, unable to download apps on Apple, unable to access perfectly safe sites unless I switch to a wifi hotspot. Netgear, are you having a laugh?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 9 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Southy, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 10 of 74
tingrassi
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with web sites and connecting a new ps4.  Can you help me remove the Armor please.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 74
Southy
Tutor

Thanks Dexter for the rather pointless private message. There's no point sending a message offering help if Netgear ignore both my replies giving my telephone number and e-mail address as requested. What is the phone number for tech support? 

Message 12 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

Why is there no way to whitlist a URL?! Why is there no straight forward avenue to uninstall Armor?! Why is it so difficult to find the OFF button for Armor and does it even actually turn it off?!

Message 13 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, welcome to the community! The link below allows you to submit a URL to Bitdefender for whitelisting.

https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/

Also, here is the link for the steps on how to enable/disable Armor.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Dexter

Message 14 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

Hi my post above tells you why I think that's stupid.

It's already turned off.
Please tell me how to uninstall it.
Message 15 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, thank you you for responding. The Armor feature is part of the firmware and can't be uninstalled. Turning Armor off also disables all of its features.

Dexter

Message 16 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

Is there a way to factory reset the router and not accept the Armor software?
Message 17 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, yes. During setup after resetting the router, when logging in to the Orbi UI via a web browser you will be prompted to enable/activate Armor. You have the option to skip or not have it enabled.

Dexter

Message 18 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

Well, this simply isn't true.
I powered down the satellites. I powered down the modem. I disconnected the router. I held in the reset button on the router. I cleared all data from the Orbi app.
After setting everything back up, bypassing the Armor activation popup, the Orbi app states that Armor is activated.
I turned it off again, but it's still there.
GRRR!!!
Message 19 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 20 of 74
Dom_Ramirez
Initiate

WHAT IS THIS STUPID NETGEAR ARMOR NONSENSE!!!

I am having the exact same problem! Armor is blocking not only many of my favorite websites, but it is also blocking all of my Google Home devices as well as both of my Rokus. I was having issues with my router, which led me to update the firmware. After updating the firmware this stupid Netgear Armor software was installed on my router. I didn't want or need this stupid god damned software. Now most of my connected devices are useless. 

Even better, I tried to contact Netgear tech support only to be told that my device was out of warranty and that I'd need to pay in order to talk to someone in tech support to fix this.

YOUR STUPID NETGEAR ARMOR SOFTWARE IS THE REASON MY DEVICES AREN'T WORKING! I DIDN'T WANT IT, AND NOW YOU EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR TECH SUPPORT TO FIX IT? WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL???!!!

There was no warning saying something along the lines of, "Dear customer, please be careful installing this firmware update as it has a stupid Netgear Armor software included that will be installed along with the firmware and will totally jack up all your connected devices and when you try to turn it off it will not turn off even though it says it is off and when you try to call us to figure out why all your stuff is now broken we'll force you to pay us money to before we'll fix the issue that we caused in the first place."

This is freakin' ridiculous. I cannot believe I spent money on this piece of garbage router.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 21 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Dom_Ramirez, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 22 of 74
tadam
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

I too want to know how to get rid of Netgear's Armor on my router. Can you help?

Thank you,

Tim

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 23 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@tadam, I tried to remove the Armor by factory resetting my router, but because I used the same login / password combo, for the router and the smartphone app as I had, previously, for each, I believe this allowed the Armor to stay on my account.
If I were to try again, I would factory reset the router and uninstall the smartphone app. When setting up the router I would deny the installation of the Armor. When creating a login, I would use a different email address, creating an entirely new account, for both the router and the smartphone app.
If you try this and it works, please post that, here.
Regards,
Pablo
Message 24 of 74
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tadam, you can follow the steps on how to disable the Armor feature using the link below. Armor is part of the device firmware and can only be enabled or disabled.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

May we know if you are encountering issues with the feature? We'd be happy to help.

Dexter

Message 25 of 74
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7