Reply
Highlighted
Admin

NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

NETGEAR Armor powered by BitdefenderNETGEAR Armor powered by BitdefenderNETGEAR is launching a new comprehensive security service to provide security for any device connected via a NETGEAR router. NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® the award-winning leader in cyber security, is an advanced multilayer solution that runs on NETGEAR routers and connected devices to actively detect and protect your home and family members from cyber threats, such as viruses, spyware, spam, and phishing. 

Visit the full NETGEAR Armor press release page.

 

To be first introduced on the Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi router (R7000P) later this quarter, NETGEAR Armor will be made available for the Orbi Whole Home WiFi system and the popular Nighthawk performance routers later in the year via firmware updates. The NETGEAR Armor firmware update provides central security to instantly protect all PCs, Macs, smart phones and tablets, and smart home devices from cyber threats. The subscription will also bundle Bitdefender Total Security anti-malware software for Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android devices, all under a single subscription. This new security service will block, at the gateway, attempts to access phishing websites from within the home network so that your privacy and data is always protected. Network security has become an area of increasingly greater concern with the addition of smart home and IoT devices to the home network, which are always on and always connected introducing new potential vulnerabilities. While PC, security has long been a mainstay of the office and home, the multitude of connected devices now available pose new, potential security risks for consumers.

 

“The need for an all-encompassing cybersecurity solution for the home is more critical than ever.” said Ciprian Istrate, Bitdefender’s vice president of Consumer Solutions. “After launching the first home cyber security solution that can protect connected devices that fall under the umbrella of Internet of Things, Bitdefender is now taking consumer cyber security to the next level with NETGEAR delivering the protection straight from the router."

 

NETGEAR Armor has the features that one would need to keep a home network and all connected IoT, smart home and personal mobile devices safe and secure from anywhere in the world. NETGEAR Armor consists the following:

 

Safe Browsing with URL Blocking

With NETGEAR Armor, you actively safeguard your network from threats, including Trojans, ransomware, zero-day exploits, rootkits and spyware. Fake websites trying to steal financial data such as passwords or credit card numbers are automatically blocked, as are malicious links in browsers, emails, or apps. You can even find out whether your search results are safe to access before you actually click on a link, as you’ll be warned against websites that can leak login credentials if the authentication is not performed via https.

 

Vulnerability Assessment

NETGEAR Armor quickly scans your network for connected devices open to unauthorized access, data theft or malicious attacks. It checks for password strength, firmware version and any weakness that can allow hackers access to your entire home network. It’s easy to run a thorough report that includes tips for eliminating specific vulnerabilities, or to simply check the status of your devices and address any issues then and there.

 

Intelligent Network Intrusion Prevention

NETGEAR Armor blocks hackers from accessing your smart-home devices such as internet-enabled thermostats, refrigerators, baby monitors, and security cameras. You’ll receive instant alerts when new devices join your network, so you can immediately reject WiFi access request for devices you don’t recognize. For ultimate convenience, you can easily manage your network security from anywhere by going to http://armor.netgear.com.

 

End-point Protection with Bitdefender Total Security

NETGEAR Armor includes Bitdefender Total Security anti-malware for Android, iOS, Windows PCs, and Macs whether at home or anywhere.  Using intelligent behavioral detection, NETGEAR Armor closely monitors all active apps and the moment the service detects suspicious activity, it takes instant action to prevent trouble, as it is designed to respond within three seconds to even the newest known threats. By turning on the optional Autopilot™ feature, all cybersecurity decisions can be made without pop-ups or dialog boxes to distract you from your work or play.

 

“For over 20 years, NETGEAR has led the industry as the best in class WiFi provider and has been first to market in providing new technologies for both home and office networks.  Now, with the introduction of NETGEAR Armor, we are making the network smarter and safer for the new world of IoT and always connected devices,” said David Henry, senior vice president of Connected Home for NETGEAR.  “This move is critical for our customers whose homes now have many networked devices, including Smart Home and IOT devices – any one of which may pose a potential security risk.    Following on our recent launch of Circle with Disney Parental Controls, NETGEAR Armor is the next in a line of services we are introducing to enhance our customer’s experience with their network.” 

 

Additional Features

 

  • Shield your network from malicious encryption programs that demand ransom for your personal data.
  • Manage and configure every device connecting or attempting to connect to the network.
  • Get instant notifications when new devices connect to your network.
  • Assess your WiFi network and router security from remote computers and smartphones.
  • Secure your passwords, credit card information, and other sensitive data in a cyber-vault for easy access.
  • Bank and shop with Safepay™, a unique, dedicated browser that secures your transactions.
  • Continuous and automatic security updates.

 

NETGEAR Armor protects home networks without sacrificing network speed, performance or privacy. The service scans your network, identifying every device connected to it. Scanning is fast and light on resources as it mostly occurs in the cloud to maximize power and efficiency. Home routers and personal devices are rarely taxed to perform power-hungry or processor-intensive tasks. And the service never scans or stores the actual contents of any documents or files.

 

Pricing and Availability

NETGEAR Armor powered by Bitdefender will first be available via firmware upgrade on Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi router (R7000P) later this quarter and will be available in the coming months via firmware updates for Orbi and the current lineup of Nighthawk routers. After the promotional 90 days of free service, the annual subscription cost is $69.99 (USD).

 

Bitdefender fair use policy limits to 20 seats per subscription.

Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

Does this have the same crappy firmware as other Nighthawks? Couldn’t help but notice how quick NETGEAR is to promote this while they stick their heads in the sand when users need help...
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 14
Highlighted
Star

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

This is really a question directed at a moderator that can relay info back to management.  Are you folks considering retrofitting R7000 AC1900 routers with the new Netgear Armor enhancement?  I see you are already planning this for the R7000P, so I can't imagine that it would be that different.  Also, from a customer service perspective, it would be a nice add on to offer to customers provided pricing is minimal. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
Star

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

This is really a question directed at a moderator that can relay info back to management.  Are you folks considering retrofitting R7000 AC1900 routers with the new Netgear Armor enhancement?  I see you are already planning this for the R7000P, so I can't imagine that it would be that different.  Also, from a customer service perspective, it would be a nice add on to offer to customers provided pricing is minimal. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 14
Highlighted
Star

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection


@BretD wrote:

NETGEAR Armor powered by BitdefenderNETGEAR Armor powered by BitdefenderNETGEAR is launching a new comprehensive security service to provide security for any device connected via a NETGEAR router. NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® the award-winning leader in cyber security, is an advanced multilayer solution that runs on NETGEAR routers and connected devices to actively detect and protect your home and family members from cyber threats, such as viruses, spyware, spam, and phishing. 

Visit the full NETGEAR Armor press release page.

 

To be first introduced on the Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi router (R7000P) later this quarter, NETGEAR Armor will be made available for the Orbi Whole Home WiFi system and the popular Nighthawk performance routers later in the year via firmware updates. The NETGEAR Armor firmware update provides central security to instantly protect all PCs, Macs, smart phones and tablets, and smart home devices from cyber threats. The subscription will also bundle Bitdefender Total Security anti-malware software for Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android devices, all under a single subscription. This new security service will block, at the gateway, attempts to access phishing websites from within the home network so that your privacy and data is always protected. Network security has become an area of increasingly greater concern with the addition of smart home and IoT devices to the home network, which are always on and always connected introducing new potential vulnerabilities. While PC, security has long been a mainstay of the office and home, the multitude of connected devices now available pose new, potential security risks for consumers.

 

“The need for an all-encompassing cybersecurity solution for the home is more critical than ever.” said Ciprian Istrate, Bitdefender’s vice president of Consumer Solutions. “After launching the first home cyber security solution that can protect connected devices that fall under the umbrella of Internet of Things, Bitdefender is now taking consumer cyber security to the next level with NETGEAR delivering the protection straight from the router."

 

NETGEAR Armor has the features that one would need to keep a home network and all connected IoT, smart home and personal mobile devices safe and secure from anywhere in the world. NETGEAR Armor consists the following:

 

Safe Browsing with URL Blocking

With NETGEAR Armor, you actively safeguard your network from threats, including Trojans, ransomware, zero-day exploits, rootkits and spyware. Fake websites trying to steal financial data such as passwords or credit card numbers are automatically blocked, as are malicious links in browsers, emails, or apps. You can even find out whether your search results are safe to access before you actually click on a link, as you’ll be warned against websites that can leak login credentials if the authentication is not performed via https.

 

Vulnerability Assessment

NETGEAR Armor quickly scans your network for connected devices open to unauthorized access, data theft or malicious attacks. It checks for password strength, firmware version and any weakness that can allow hackers access to your entire home network. It’s easy to run a thorough report that includes tips for eliminating specific vulnerabilities, or to simply check the status of your devices and address any issues then and there.

 

Intelligent Network Intrusion Prevention

NETGEAR Armor blocks hackers from accessing your smart-home devices such as internet-enabled thermostats, refrigerators, baby monitors, and security cameras. You’ll receive instant alerts when new devices join your network, so you can immediately reject WiFi access request for devices you don’t recognize. For ultimate convenience, you can easily manage your network security from anywhere by going to http://armor.netgear.com.

 

End-point Protection with Bitdefender Total Security

NETGEAR Armor includes Bitdefender Total Security anti-malware for Android, iOS, Windows PCs, and Macs whether at home or anywhere.  Using intelligent behavioral detection, NETGEAR Armor closely monitors all active apps and the moment the service detects suspicious activity, it takes instant action to prevent trouble, as it is designed to respond within three seconds to even the newest known threats. By turning on the optional Autopilot™ feature, all cybersecurity decisions can be made without pop-ups or dialog boxes to distract you from your work or play.

 

“For over 20 years, NETGEAR has led the industry as the best in class WiFi provider and has been first to market in providing new technologies for both home and office networks.  Now, with the introduction of NETGEAR Armor, we are making the network smarter and safer for the new world of IoT and always connected devices,” said David Henry, senior vice president of Connected Home for NETGEAR.  “This move is critical for our customers whose homes now have many networked devices, including Smart Home and IOT devices – any one of which may pose a potential security risk.    Following on our recent launch of Circle with Disney Parental Controls, NETGEAR Armor is the next in a line of services we are introducing to enhance our customer’s experience with their network.” 

 

Additional Features

 

  • Shield your network from malicious encryption programs that demand ransom for your personal data.
  • Manage and configure every device connecting or attempting to connect to the network.
  • Get instant notifications when new devices connect to your network.
  • Assess your WiFi network and router security from remote computers and smartphones.
  • Secure your passwords, credit card information, and other sensitive data in a cyber-vault for easy access.
  • Bank and shop with Safepay™, a unique, dedicated browser that secures your transactions.
  • Continuous and automatic security updates.

 

NETGEAR Armor protects home networks without sacrificing network speed, performance or privacy. The service scans your network, identifying every device connected to it. Scanning is fast and light on resources as it mostly occurs in the cloud to maximize power and efficiency. Home routers and personal devices are rarely taxed to perform power-hungry or processor-intensive tasks. And the service never scans or stores the actual contents of any documents or files.

 

Pricing and Availability

NETGEAR Armor powered by Bitdefender will first be available via firmware upgrade on Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi router (R7000P) later this quarter and will be available in the coming months via firmware updates for Orbi and the current lineup of Nighthawk routers. After the promotional 90 days of free service, the annual subscription cost is $69.99 (USD).

 

Bitdefender fair use policy limits to 20 seats per subscription.



This is really a question directed at a moderator that can relay info back to management.  Are you folks considering retrofitting R7000 AC1900 routers with the new Netgear Armor enhancement?  I see you are already planning this for the R7000P, so I can't imagine that it would be that different.  Also, from a customer service perspective, it would be a nice add on to offer to customers provided pricing is minimal. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
Admin

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection


@dkunath wrote:

This is really a question directed at a moderator that can relay info back to management.  Are you folks considering retrofitting R7000 AC1900 routers with the new Netgear Armor enhancement?  I see you are already planning this for the R7000P, so I can't imagine that it would be that different.  Also, from a customer service perspective, it would be a nice add on to offer to customers provided pricing is minimal. 


Thanks for your question. For pricing, please refer to the article. 

The process of making this available on other routers has a lot to do with what chipsets and performance characteristics each device has. Each new device requires testing and regression to make sure it's all working correctly. There are several Nighthawk routers and Orbi WiFi Routers we are bringing this technology to, but are not announcing specifically which ones at this time. As more details become available we will announce here in the NETGEAR Forums. Thanks!

Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
Star

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

you mention Orbi equipment. Are you looking at retrofitting the existing orbi units, or will there be a new unit with this feature? it would be good customer service on Netgear's part to retrofit the units with this feature, so they can take advantage of it. Thanks for the input.
Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
Admin

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

@dkunath wrote:
you mention Orbi equipment. Are you looking at retrofitting the existing orbi units, or will there be a new unit with this feature? it would be good customer service on Netgear's part to retrofit the units with this feature, so they can take advantage of it. Thanks for the input.

This would be via a Firmware update, that means existing equipment

 


Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 8 of 14
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

So if I have a Bit defender Box 2, will this interfere with it once you roll out a fw, update?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

I'm preparing to upgrade my home network with the Orbi system and it's also time to renew/or buy new security suite. I'm considering the Bitdefender Box 2 and/or the new Netgear Armor firmware upgrade.

 

Is the Box2 (@$250) necessary with the armor subscription? How do they differ? Will they compliment each other if both are used. Does the box2 do everything the armor can and more? Is the armor plenty on it's own?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

Netgear

How about getting the basic firmware bullet proof before spending time on things like this? Engineers could be spending their time fixing the crappy firmware for routers like the r8000p, then add features after the core firmware is solid. 

 

By the way I run Bitdefender on my PC's. Nice package, but fix the basics first.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 14
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

Will i still have to reset my R8000P every 2-3 days to get wifi back to work if i buy this??

Message 12 of 14
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection


@myersw wrote:

Netgear

How about getting the basic firmware bullet proof before spending time on things like this? Engineers could be spending their time fixing the crappy firmware for routers like the r8000p, then add features after the core firmware is solid. 

 

By the way I run Bitdefender on my PC's. Nice package, but fix the basics first.


Unfortunately, posts like this fall on deaf ears. They don't care about what you say on the forums. All we can do as consumers is vote with our wallets.

Message 13 of 14
Highlighted
Star
Star

Re: NETGEAR Armor™ powered by Bitdefender® Advanced Cyber Threat Protection

On netgear website it stated "unlimited*", so is it really unlimited?

"Advanced protection with a single subscription for unlimited* devices in your household for only $69.99 per year, after 90 days free trial"

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 19103 views
  • 16 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements