Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Insight VLANs and DHCP servers

Equest
Tutor

Insight VLANs and DHCP servers

I am using a BR500, GC752XP and some GC110Ps in a business network.

I have an office building with 8 offices which I let to customers and would like to use a separate VLAN for each office so that there is no loss of data confidentiaity. In addition, I use the VOIP lan already set up in Insight for telephony. I can create as many VLANs as I Iike, but beyond the first 4, there appears to be no way of allocating the additional VLANs to a particular DHCP server - I have set up the limit of 4 of these already. A computer plugged into a socket configured with a PVID to one of the additional VLANs (beyond the first four) receives no IP address from any of the DHCP servers. Computers connected the first 4 VLANs obtain an address from the allocated DHCP server as expected.

I note the conversation about the limitations in  other posts about the Insight system but wonder if there is a way of overcoming this issue. I read the datasheet on the BR500 before buying and found that is specified 256 VLANs were possible - but how to implement them?

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@YeZ  please.

Message 2 of 5
credm806
Tutor

Have you been able to find an answer for this? I too am looking to create more than 4 true vlans. It seems useless that 256 vlans are possible when only 4 could get assigned ip addresses. I'm not a network professional, so I'm hoping I'm just ignorant to the solution. Thanks!
Message 3 of 5
Equest
Tutor

It appears that the BR500 has a significant limitation of 4 subnets and 4 VLANs and there is nothing simple that will overcome this. The balance of the total of 256 VLANs listed in the BR500 spec don't appear to be useable.

My network professional recommended the use of a separate DHCP server and a Level 3 switch to manage the subnets and VLANs - but this negates the simpliicity of being able to manage everything via the Insight system, so I have not implemented this solution.

Instead, access to the network is controlled by using a MAC access control list which can be managed via Insight.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

First, I must admit not having touched a BR500 for a while for various reasons - the subject here is one of many - trying to answer anyway:

The BR500 managed only from Insight does only offer four VLAN, each configured to a single physical port, all untagged. This is a more than strange approach as Insight does nicely allow managing switches and wireless APs with tagged VLAN networks.

The BR500 does allow the config of more VLANs when using the Web UI when I understand things right. Doesn't the BR500 allow to continue using the manual Web based configuration also while on Insight? 

So my friend @YeZ- it's time to remove this Insight limitation on the BR500 management. Your customers expect that these basic features re available as per the product specs. It's not like the Orbi Pro (unlucky add to the Insight system) which does by design not support VLANs at all. Then, a fully Insight manageable router - and then even more a true security appliance (without a borked hardware layout for rack mounting - another show stopper!) - is key for the future of Insight. UniFi for example does not have such **** limitations.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements