Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enforcing safe search DuckDuckGo and Ecosia

Laurent78
Aspirant

Enforcing safe search DuckDuckGo and Ecosia

Hi. 

I noticed that SPC is not enforcing safe search on all search engines, among them DuckDuckGo and Ecosia. It should be quite simple based on their FAQ. 

Is it possible to add more search engines?

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Enforcing safe search DuckDuckGo and Ecosia

I confess that I have never enabled Smart Parental Controls (SPC) on my Orbi.  (Free "trial" led me to the conclusion of "then you PAY")

The idea that software on the router could somehow affect web browser settings on individual devices is fascinating.

I have yet to find documentation on how SPC works.

Do you have the impression that SPC changes the settings on some web browsers?  Which ones?

Message 2 of 4
Laurent78
Aspirant

Yes, it is enforcing safe search on Google and Bing. And also YouTube but I didn’t check this one yet.
According to Google:
« To force SafeSearch for your network, you’ll need to update your DNS configuration. Set the DNS entry for www.google.com (and any other Google country domains your users may use) to be a CNAME for forcesafesearch.google.com. »

I would like the same result with Ecosia and DuckDuckGo.
You’re right, after the trial it becomes a paid options.
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my. WAY above my level of understanding.  One would hope that Netgear engineers realize that customers use a variety of web browsers, including Firefox, Opera, DuckDuckGo, etc.

I am not aware of any Netgear employees who are assigned to monitor community forum posts.  My suggestion is to do two things:

1. Create a post on this topic in the forum  called "Idea Exchange"
    https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home 
  2. Send a private message to the person who introduced Smart Parental Controls (SPC) by clicking on the screen name @ChristineT 

Good Luck

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7