× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1Gigabit capable Netgear NAS + Access Point

okipol
Aspirant

1Gigabit capable Netgear NAS + Access Point

Hello,

I am a proud owner of Netgear WNR3500Lv2. I have custom tomato running on it (yes deprecated unfortunately).
I have an ISP rated 300 Mbit but on directly conected it could go up to 700 Mbit. I am searching for a router that will be running in AP mode  and having NAS 3TB or more. That I want to run on the local network at a Gbit speed (cable of course). I read there are some issues when running in AP mode of achieveing this speed.  

I want to run AP + NAS and have Gigabit speed on cable (currently I had issues with the hardware support on my Netgear because of QOS I think). I preordered a 

Netgear R6400 Router Wifi AC1750 USB 3.0

Is this suitable or will I have a problem? Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: 1Gigabit capable Netgear NAS + Access Point

@okipol wrote:

I am searching for a router that will be running in AP mode  and having NAS 3TB or more.

FYI, you didn't post this in the right forum.  ReadyNAS is Netgear's NAS product line - which doesn't include their routers that support USB drives (sometimes called a "NAS" feature).

@okipol wrote:

I am searching for a router that will be running in AP mode  and having NAS 3TB or more.

Netgear routers do drop some features when running in AP mode.  It is possible that attached USB drives might be one of them - not sure, since it's not a mode I use.  One workaround is to double-route - which works ok, though port forwarding, etc becomes a bit more complicated.  Anyway, you might want to follow up in the router forum area.

@okipol wrote:

I want to run AP + NAS and have Gigabit speed on cable. I preordered a Netgear R6400 Router Wifi AC1750 USB 3.0

You won't get gigabit file transfer speeds (~100 MB/s) using the R6400 NAS feature.  Based on this review, it will be around 20-30 MB/s: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2960533/netgear-r6400-review-netgear-s-latest-mid-range-router-is-a-... 

The R6400 is an older mid-range model, you would get faster WiFi speeds with something higher end.  That would be more expensive of course.  No idea on whether you'd also get faster NAS speeds.

Message 2 of 4
okipol
Aspirant

Hi,
Yeah rewised I am not using AP mode (oh yeah).

Having that in mind I am getting Internet speeds @  Down 400 Mbit / Up 900 Mbit. The NAS is around 20 MB/s. That is a really nice upgrade from my last Netgear WNR3500v2. Also I pay for a symetrics 300Mbit :P. I will be thinking about using some custom Firmware for it ;). I really liked the advanced tomato.

Message 3 of 4
JAMES1977
Aspirant

Hey!

If you are searching for a router that will be running in AP mode and having NAS 3TB or more I advise you to take a closer look
at 4g signal boosters. https://www.myamplifiers.com/en-au/ - more information here. I use them to improve coverage in my home.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements