× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data deletion not freeing up space

GPstar2021
Aspirant

Data deletion not freeing up space

Hi all,

I have been using the unit with 6 out of 8 bays full.  I have 50% used. I recently cleared at least 20% and no change in available storage came after the deletion.  I have checked and there is no recycle bin etc.  Am i doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance

Model: RN428|ReadyNAS 428 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bays
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Data deletion not freeing up space

It can take a while for the free space to be reclaimed.  You can try running a balance from the volume settings wheel - that should speed it up.

Though if you have snapshots enabled on the share (and didn't destroy the share itself), then deleting the files won't increase free space, as the files remain in the snapshots.

Message 2 of 5
GPstar2021
Aspirant

Thank you for that

I do have snapshots but unsure how to "destroy the share itself"

Also not sure how to "Balance from volume" 

Sorry

i did delete a whole heaps of snapshots to free up space

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@GPstar2021 wrote:

unsure how to "destroy the share itself"

When you select the share on the share page of the web ui, you should see a settings wheel.   Click on that and you'll see "delete".  That destroys the share and all associated snapshots.

@GPstar2021 wrote:

Also not sure how to "Balance from volume" 

Navigate to the volume page, and click on the volume settings wheel.  There is an option to run a balance from there. If you've never run one, then it can take quite a while to complete it.  

balance.png

FWIW, there are other maintenance functions (scrub, disk test, and defrag), and you can set up a schedule to run them automatically.  I run one test per month (cycling through them 3 times a year).  

@GPstar2021 wrote:

i did delete a whole heaps of snapshots to free up space

If you are running the default "smart" snapshots, then I suggest switching to custom snapshots.  The reason is that you can then explicitly set retention, which will automatically delete old snapshots.  Once set up, you can watch the snapshot space used by each share, and tune the retention to get the balance you want between retention and on-disk storage.  I've set mine to 3 months for most shares - which is sufficient for me, and keeps the snapshot usage reasonable without me needing to go in manually and delete them. 

The disk space used by each snapshot is a bit tricky to figure, as they are all deltas off the main share (and deltas from each other). Unfortunately there's no easy way to see how much on-disk space you'll save by deleting just some of the snapshots for the share. If you happen to recall that you deleted a bunch of files (or reorganized the subfolders) on a certain date, then you can delete all the snapshots older than that date to free up the space.  But most of the time I don't recall that.

A good way to manage this is that to start by deleting the oldest snapshot(s) for the share, as they are the ones that are most different from the main share.  Continue deleting the oldest ones, until you get the savings you are looking for.  You do need to take your time, as the system recovers the snapshot space in the background, so it won't show up right away.  And sometimes you do need to run a balance before the space frees up.

The other strategy is to just delete all the snapshots for the share (and then run a balance).

Message 4 of 5
GPstar2021
Aspirant

Thank you so much

Your a legend

I will do all that

Greatly appreciated

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies