× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help installing Plex app

KarlJNH
Aspirant

Help installing Plex app

Hi all,

I've been trying to install the Plex Media Server app on my ReadyNAS RN214 and I keep getting the error "Cannot install application plexmediaserver-annapurna". I got the app from the Plex site and manually uploaded it. I noticed when I go to the admin page and I click the available app button, nothing shows up.... Is this normal? I haven't tried installing via SSH and I've seen posts about performing a factory rest but if I do will it wipe all data on my installed hard drives? I am running firmware 6.10.2 and I have no other apps installed. I haven't been running the Plex app before, this is a fresh install.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help installing Plex app

@KarlJNH wrote:

I've seen posts about performing a factory reset but if I do will it wipe all data on my installed hard drives? 

A factory reset will wipe all the data on the NAS.

@KarlJNH wrote:

Hi all,

I've been trying to install the Plex Media Server app on my ReadyNAS RN214 and I keep getting the error "Cannot install application plexmediaserver-annapurna".

Is the NAS able to reach the internet?   One way to check is to disable the automatic time upate, and then re-enable it.  If the NAS can't reach the internet, the you will get an error when you renable it.  If you have email alerts configured, you could send a test message to check the internet connectivity.

Message 2 of 4
KarlJNH
Aspirant

Stephen, thanks for the reply.... Yes the NAS time is sync'd with the recommended netgear.com servers.

If I shut the NAS down, could I remove the 4 drives, power the NAS up, do the factory reset, shut the NAS down again, then reinstall the drives and power it back up?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@KarlJNH wrote:

If I shut the NAS down, could I remove the 4 drives, power the NAS up, do the factory reset, shut the NAS down again, then reinstall the drives and power it back up?

No.  The operating system is on the drives.  A factory reset reformats the drives and does a fresh factory install onto them.  It's not possible to do it w/o drives in place, so you'll need to back up the data, and restore it after the reset if you try this.

First I suggest downloading the full log zip file, and asking the mods to review it.  Upload the zip into cloud storage (google, dropbox, etc).  Then send a private message (PM) to the mods with a link to the logs,and ask them to review  ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ).  Don't post them publicly.  You send a PM by clicking on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements