× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Install RAIDar on Mac OS Catalina

robertolo
Aspirant

Install RAIDar on Mac OS Catalina

Hi,

I am trying to recover an old Readynas. But prior to that, I need to install Raidar as you know already (on a Mac OS 10.15.7 Catalina).

So I am downloading the installer dmg from https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads . It turns out that I need to install OpenJDK or any JRE in general, from v7. Here comes the problem. I already have a JRE installed! 

⋊> ~ java -version
openjdk version "16" 2021-03-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK (build 16+36)
Eclipse OpenJ9 VM AdoptOpenJDK (build openj9-0.25.0, JRE 16 Mac OS X amd64-64-Bit Compressed References 20210311_66 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
OpenJ9   - 022d65424
OMR      - 09514431e
JCL      - 0c11227a21a based on jdk-16+36)
⋊> ~ echo $JAVA_HOME
/Users/robertolo/.sdkman/candidates/java/16.0.0.j9-adpt
⋊> ~ 

I have tried other java versions + providers, but it does not change anything. Could you please help me? Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 4|ReadyNAS-Ultra 4
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@robertolo wrote:

But prior to that, I need to install Raidar as you know already (on a Mac OS 10.15.7 Catalina).

Why?  I'm not seeing what that will accomplish for you.

Message 2 of 13
robertolo
Aspirant

Well, I just thought that it would be necessary for the initial set up. I will check later today.

By the way, I've tried the same on other not Mac machine and I cannot get rid of that validation error. Does raidar even work at all?
Message 3 of 13
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Yea RAIDar is not mandatory and I will be dammed if I ever install Java just for this application 🙂

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@robertolo wrote:

By the way, I've tried the same on other not Mac machine and I cannot get rid of that validation error. Does raidar even work at all?

I'm not a Mac owner, but it certainly works on Windows. 

@robertolo wrote:
Well, I just thought that it would be necessary for the initial set up. I will check later today.

It's not.  Just browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of your NAS of course).

When you say "recover" - are you trying of recover data?  Or just put the Ultra back into service?  If you are putting it back into service, then you should consider converting it to OS-6.  We can give you more info on how to do that if you choose to go forward. 

One issue you will run into is that new versions of MacOS won't let you connect to the Ultra with SMB.  That's because the 4.2.x firmware only supports SMB 1/CIFS - which is being deprecated by both Microsoft and Windows.  You'll need to use AFP.  OS 6 (among other benefits) supports SMB 3.

Message 5 of 13
robertolo
Aspirant

Thank you @StephenB . I have several systems, I just tried Mac because I thought it would be easier - but my main OS is linux.

I managed to contact as you suggested via browser. The NAS is accessible easily via DLNA from my media server, but I still have some issues.

I am comfortable using ftp commands, thus I have enabled it for file sharing. Somehow it does not work, even when I have set my share to read/write mode:

lftp 192.168.68.105:/media/1x03/9bb009e17edf6db8bb9b2208c231f0e3.tmp> mv My-Serie.S01E03.WEB-DL.480p.H264.mp4 ../S01/
mmv: Access failed: 550 Rename ../My-Serie.S01E03.WEB-DL.480p.H264.mp4: Permission denied
mmv: 1 error detected
mmv: 0 files moved

How can I enable renaming rights in my share?

Message 6 of 13
robertolo
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

When you say "recover" - are you trying of recover data?  Or just put the Ultra back into service?  If you are putting it back into service, then you should consider converting it to OS-6.  We can give you more info on how to do that if you choose to go forward. 

I mean to put it back into service. I have been looking around to upgrade to OS6, but I still do not completely understand the process. Could you please give me some tips? Thanks

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@robertolo wrote:

How can I enable renaming rights in my share?

As you likely know, you do need to set the network permissions for each sharing protocol.  So make sure you have set it for FTP.  Also, lftp can also use https for sharing (as can the NAS).  So that is another option.

But most likely the issue is file permissions, not network permissions.  You can reset those by going into the advanced options setting for the share, and then select the permissions, owner, and group that you want.  Then check the boxes for set ownership and permission for existing files ... and grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files and click apply.  The changes are applied in the background, and you will get a pop-up in the browser when the process completes.

There is also an add-on you could install that enables ssh access to the NAS.  A direct download link for the Ultra is here: https://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin.  After installing it as an add-on, you connect using root as the username, and the NAS admin password.

@robertolo wrote:

I mean to put it back into service. I have been looking around to upgrade to OS6, but I still do not completely understand the process. Could you please give me some tips? Thanks

First, it is important to confirm the model.  The Ultras and Pros can be converted to OS6, but the older NVX cannot.  Also, 4.1.x and 5.3.x NAS cannot be converted.

The steps are:

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP (the process is destructive, so all files on the NAS are lost).
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

If you do decide to convert the Ultra, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Ultra only has 1 GB.  Some folks have run into out-of-memory issues with only 1 GB.    I do suggest looking for 2 GB modules, and not 4 GB ones.  4 GB DDR2 modules are generally very expensive, and many are not compatible.  Open the NAS first, and see what RAM you actually have installed now (and also how many memory slots you have - I believe the ultra 4 only has 1 slot).  Upgrading with 2 GB modules is inexpensive, and is simple to do.

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

If you do decide to convert the Ultra, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Ultra only has 1 GB.  Some folks have run into out-of-memory issues with only 1 GB.    I do suggest looking for 2 GB modules, and not 4 GB ones.  4 GB DDR2 modules are generally very expensive, and many are not compatible.  Open the NAS first, and see what RAM you actually have installed now (and also how many memory slots you have - I believe the ultra 4 only has 1 slot).  Upgrading with 2 GB modules is inexpensive, and is simple to do.

The Ultra4, Ultra4Plus, and Pro4 have only one slot, and do not accept any 4GB modules.  You need a 2GB DDR2-667, 2Rx8, non-ECC, unbuffered SODIMM. That's a basic laptop SODIMM from it's day.  Under $10 on eBay.  The memory slot is accessible by removing both side panels to get to the top cover screws, then removing the top cover.

Message 9 of 13
robertolo
Aspirant

But most likely the issue is file permissions, not network permissions.  You can reset those by going into the advanced options setting for the share, and then select the permissions, owner, and group that you want.  Then check the boxes for set ownership and permission for existing files ... and grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files and click apply.  The changes are applied in the background, and you will get a pop-up in the browser when the process completes.

Yes, that did the trick.

There is also an add-on you could install that enables ssh access to the NAS.  A direct download link for the Ultra is here: https://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin.  After installing it as an add-on, you connect using root as the username, and the NAS admin password.

Thanks, that was the first thing I did when I got access to the administration panel.

First, it is important to confirm the model.  The Ultras and Pros can be converted to OS6, but the older NVX cannot.  Also, 4.1.x and 5.3.x NAS cannot be converted.

After checking the sticker in the back, it is a RNDU4000 (an Ultra 4), with x86 processor. Running RAIDiator 4.2.31. I guess then there shouldn't be problems to upgrade.

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

After applying this update as an add-on, I have got the following messages:

Wed Apr 7 14:38:37 CEST 2021The BIOS_Update_Package add-on has been successfully installed.
Wed Apr 7 14:38:37 CEST 2021BIOS Update encountered an error.

Shall I worry about the error?

I opened the NAS to check the memory, there is just one slot with an 1GB module (SO-DIMM DDR2 667Mhz PC2-5300s). I will look for an equivalent 2GB module and just then proceed with the update.

By the way, I am impressed with all suggestions which I am getting here! Thanks guys

Message 10 of 13
robertolo
Aspirant

thanks @StephenB , I got the following messages while upgrading BIOS:

Wed Apr 7 14:38:37 CEST 2021The BIOS_Update_Package add-on has been successfully installed.
Wed Apr 7 14:38:37 CEST 2021BIOS Update encountered an error.

Shall I worry?

I will look for the right memory module before performing the upgrade.

Message 11 of 13
robertolo
Aspirant

@Sandshark:

Good insight! I will get the right 2GB module.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@robertolo wrote:

thanks @StephenB , I got the following messages while upgrading BIOS:

Wed Apr 7 14:38:37 CEST 2021 The BIOS_Update_Package add-on has been successfully installed.
Wed Apr 7 14:38:37 CEST 2021 BIOS Update encountered an error.

Shall I worry?

You might want to download the full log zip file, and see what the error is.

Updating the BIOS is definitely optional - OS-6 will run perfectly well if you skip that step.  But I think it would good to know why it failed.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements