× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plex app non-functional since OS Reboot of ReadyNAS 204

Mingus
Aspirant

Plex app non-functional since OS Reboot of ReadyNAS 204

I've been having issues with my ReadyNAS 204 for the past 2 weeks now - I resolve one issue and another one pops up!

I am using the latest firmware 6.6.1 and these issues appeared 'out of the blue' - unrelated to me upgrading either firmware or any of my apps.

I primarily use my ReadyNAS as a Plex server and the only active apps are Plex (for RN2xx), PlexPy and Transmission.

Initially, about 2 weeks ago, I suddenly was locked out of the online Admin page. My password had not changed, but all of a sudden it was not being recognised. The login panel would pop-up repeatedly and would finally dump me into the Password Recovery screen. I would answer the security question, but I would be told it was incorrect (which it clearly wasn't).

Throughout this time Plex and Transmission functioned perfectly (although I couldn't add new content via the Admin page). My shares and data were all accessible via Finder (I'm on a Mac with 10.12.4 Sierra).

After searching the forums and exhausting other options I performed an OS Reset. This obviously returned my username and password to default and access to the Admin Page was restored.

I thought that that was the end of my problems, but now I found that the Plex app (which was working just fine before the OS Reset) would no longer work. Further reboots had no effect. Toggling the app off/on did nothing. Attempts to upload the most recent Plex app failed (I'm currently on version 1.4.2.3400-ab906953b which is very recent and had been working fine).

RAIDar diagnostics shows "no errors found" but on occasion when I attempt to turn on the Plex app I will get a "bad NML call" error.

I've trawled through these forums for a fix but I'm still at a loss. These issues happened spontaneously and are not related to me doing any mucking around with the system, so I'd appreciate some assistance from Netgear in getting this sorted.

Thanks.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Re: Plex app non-functional since OS Reboot of ReadyNAS 204

You might try updating to 6.7.0 (which is released).  Another possibility is that you could manually over-install 6.6.1 (using the manual firmware install link on system->settings).

Message 2 of 18
Mingus
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your quick response - much appreciated!

I was unable to find firmware 6.7 (and the auto update says I have latest version), so I went ahead and manually over-installed 6.6.1.  Unfortunately, made no difference at all - Plex still won't start up and still won't allow me to update the Plex app.  I had also considered removing the Plex app (and then reinstalling later), but that also fails.

I'm willing to try upgrading to 6.7 but I suspect it won't be a fix because whatever is causing an issue for me doesn't seem to be affected by firmware changes...

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Mingus wrote:

I'm willing to try upgrading to 6.7 but I suspect it won't be a fix because whatever is causing an issue for me doesn't seem to be affected by firmware changes...

I just saw a post from @JennC saying Netgear had pulled 6.7.0, and that does appear to be the case.  The manual download links no longer function.

There is one other user who recently reported this issue, and when he disabled the AV service he was able to uninstall plex.  So maybe try that, and then see if uninstall/reinstall works.

Message 4 of 18
Mingus
Aspirant

By "AV" you mean anti-virus?  Tried that - no change. 

Getting following error (before and now):

"Application failed to initialise.  Empty resource error.  Bad NML call.  Code 22002010000"

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Mingus wrote:

By "AV" you mean anti-virus?  Tried that - no change. 

I did.  So his workaound doesn't apply to you.

Message 6 of 18
Mingus
Aspirant

Still stuck here!

Is the "Bad NML call" error much of a clue as to the problem, or is it just a generic error?

I've seen other threads where this error has been attributed to a .pid file being left behind.  Would the OS re-install remove such .pid files or is it possible that some such remnant remains preventing the Plex app from working, upgrading and deleting?

The Plex app was working just fine under 6.6.1 until I did the OS Reboot - what could possibly have gone wrong to cause this??

Message 7 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 8 of 18
Mingus
Aspirant

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I'm away from my computer for the weekend - but I'll send those logs as soon as I can.  Thanks. 

Message 9 of 18
fizzybomb
Aspirant

HI

I am having the same issue. I have done the os reinstall due to passwords not working.  Plex then stopped working and i can not uninstall it or update it.

Can you please help?

Message 10 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Update to 6.7.1 Beta and see if that resolves it.

Message 11 of 18
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I'ver had PLEX issues like these in the past.  So Make sure it's turned off, and then Upload Plex over the top of PLEX that's already installed.  Make sure you are downloading the correct version of PLEX as that can be a easy mistake.    If you try Uninstalled PLEX and then Installing, that sometimes doesn't work.  So install over the top.  I've also found that when I need to upgrade plex, that I turn it off first. Wait for that to finish shutting down, then installing the new version of plex over the top, when done I can turn it back on.  Doing things this way I don't have issues like in the past.

Message 12 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs Mingus provided clearly show he ran into an issue addressed by 6.7. So I stand by comment suggesting trying ReadyNASOS 6.7.1-T244 (Beta 1)

I can see errors like this in the logs:

dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 9177 package 'readynasos':
Message 13 of 18
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

That's great, but I still stand by shutting down PLEX before installing a updated version of PLEX and then turning back on.  Instead of just overwriting while PLEX is still running.  Just from past experance in the many, many versions of PLEX that I have installed that seems to give me less problems in general.  Is the net effect the same either way, I'm not sure, but it sure doesnt hurt anything. Glad 6.7 fixed a known bug creating the problem he had.

As always, support around here is fast.  If only more places were like this.

Message 14 of 18
Mingus
Aspirant

Thanks for your help guys !

First of all, I was pretty sure that I had tried every possible method of updating the Plex app, but just to be sure I tried to update with the app switched off.  Unfortunately, I got the exact same error, so that's not a fix in my particular case. 

From what I understand, ReadyNAS firmware 6.7 had been released and then pulled again due to new issues.  Based on that, I'd prefer to wait for the official release of 6.7 (and even then I won't be rushing to update) rather than take my chances with a beta version. 

While I've been having these issues I decided to access my Plex media via the Mac app rather than the NAS app (which is switched off but I still can't delete).   This now seems to be the best long-term solution for me because this is not the first time I've had issues that required a yet to be released NAS firmware update to resolve.  

I'll try and remove the Plex for RN2xx entirely when I next update my firmware and I don't foresee myself running Plex directly from the NAS again.

Thanks anyway.  

Message 15 of 18
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Running the PLEX server on your Mac is going to be better anyway as the processor is much faster, and believe is or not, on the fly transcoding is more important then you think it is.  I tried on a ARM NAS and the experiance just wasn't good at all.  At the time I was running my Windows PC 24/7 for Media Center of Windows 7 for all my Antenna recording as a cable cutter and so I also ran the PLEX server and other programs on my Windows PC also.  That was fine most of the time.  That old slow NAS work just fine to store all my Data on.  I also used a SSD drive to hold the Plex Database on  my computer.  This make it much faster so everything pops right up when looking for content on a ROKU or whatever else.

I also don't blame you for waiting and not trying to run Beta Versions.  There's just to much data on your NAS that you don't want issues.  I saw that 6.7 was pulled also, not sure why, but it can't have been good.  Always a good idea to wait a few days after a new release just in case there is a issue like there was with 6.7.  Let others be the testers and all looks well after a few days, then go ahead and grab a copy.

I also had a simualal program with PLEX in the past.  I Googled around and found a solution which was SSH onto the NAS and deleting a file and then turning it back on, it started back up as it's suppose to.  Deleteing PLEX and reinstalling didn't fix the issue, but the SSH into the NAS and deleting the file did.  I just don't recall what the file was or the location, but it worked.  Clearly not 100% of PLEX gets deleted when you go and remove it!!!

Message 16 of 18
Mingus
Aspirant

Agreed - experience using Mac/PC Plex server is definitely superior.  I had been using the Mac server previously, but I had some issues at that time (which I think were related to network connectivity) which led to me using the RN2xx Plex server.  

No connectivity problems between the Mac server and NAS this time, so all looking good.  Also, I can now play video files with the x265/HEVC coding which just stuttered with the NAS server - so that will save me a considerable amount of disc space in the long run.

i suppose the only downside is that the Mac/PC needs to be left on in order to access Plex - but I seldom turn it off anyway. 

Finally, you're correct that even when Plex is deleted from the NAS it can leave behind remnants that can cause problems.  It seems these are usually .pid files.  Unfortunately, the Mac version of RAIDar doesn't include the "browse" function, so I haven't been able to check if there is a residual .pid file left over.  True, I could use SSH, but now that everything is working I'm not keen to do anything that might mess it up again !!

Message 17 of 18
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Many people use a Mac Mini.  It's small, pretty energy effect and has a decent Intel CPU.  You can set it up to remote into it from your Windows PC if you want.  A used Mac Mini, and a low cost ARM NAS can be a great Combo for use with PLEX.   You can not only run PLEX on it, but other software on it.  I won't mention names of those other programs, but it can work out great for a low cost solution.  Of course the newer and better the Mac Mini CPU the better.  In general, spend about $250 on a Mac Mini on ebay should be pretty good to at least transcode 1 or 2 1080P movies at once.  

At some point low cost ARM CPU's will have the power to do it, but it's just not there yet.  5-10 years from now, maybe, but here we are moving to 4K which I really think it's silly for most people.  That's another topic.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements