× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID Volume Full - INPUT/OUTPUT Errors on File Commands Via SSH (ReadyNAS NV+ 1GB RAM)

Brian_Rupert
Aspirant

RAID Volume Full - INPUT/OUTPUT Errors on File Commands Via SSH (ReadyNAS NV+ 1GB RAM)

Last night I SSH'd into my NV+ and wanted to clean up the boot volume, as it was 89% full and I had been experiencing issues with the unit booting up completely. I reviewed /var/logs to look for large log files to delete. The upnp-av.log and another upnp-av.log.old showed as:

>> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     651204166 Mar 12  2018 upnp-av.log
>> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1226915 Jan 10  2014 upnp-av.log.old

I removed the .old file and for some dumb reason I wanted to copy the larger upnp-av.log file over to my RAID volume just for safe keeping, so without much thought I copied upnp-av.log over this file to /dev/c/c/. As soon as I did that my RAID volume went from 64% to 100% full (see df -h below). Now when I attempt to CD into any of directories or try to remove a directory I receive an INPUT/OUTPUT error at the command line and am unable to remove any files or directories. I realize now that there's no reason I should have attempted to backup that file. In fact I can't even find upnp-av.log in /dev/c/c/ or /c. Looking for some ideas on how I can go about removing/cleaning up that RAID volume via SSH. The boot volume is now nice and clean but I can't acccess my RAID volume shares via CIFS and feel like I'm stuck doing anything via SSH because of the INPUT/OUTPUT errors I'm receiving when performing any file/directory rm commands. I'm at work and don't have access to my system info, but I have 4.1.16 (?) FW, 1GB RAM and 4x1.8 TB drives (all healthy) in the NV+. I can post that info later this evening. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1             1.9G  1.8G  223M  89% /
tmpfs                  16k     0   16k   0% /USB
/dev/c/c              5.4T  3.5T  1.9T  64% /c
/c/home               5.4T  3.5T  1.9T  64% /home/ftp/homes
/c/backup             5.4T  3.5T  1.9T  64% /home/ftp/backup
/c/media              5.4T  3.5T  1.9T  64% /home/ftp/media
/c/software           5.4T  3.5T  1.9T  64% /home/ftp/software

nas:/var/log# cp upnp-av.log /dev/c/c
nas:/var/log# rm upnp-av.log
nas:/var/log# ls -l /dev/c/c
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jan 16 02:01 /dev/c/c -> /dev/mapper/c-c
nas:/var/log# cd /dev/c/c
-bash: cd: /dev/c/c: Not a directory
nas:/var/log# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1             1.9G  1.2G  844M  58% /
tmpfs                  16k     0   16k   0% /USB
/dev/c/c               16T   14T     0 100% /c
/c/home                16T   14T     0 100% /home/ftp/homes
/c/backup              16T   14T     0 100% /home/ftp/backup
/c/media               16T   14T     0 100% /home/ftp/media

/c/software            16T   14T     0 100% /home/ftp/software

I have some additional information from the putty session at home that shows the INPUT/OUTPUT errors I can post them later this evening if that would also help.

Thanks for any assistance.
-Brian
bjrupert@gmail.com

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RAID Volume Full - INPUT/OUTPUT Errors on File Commands Via SSH (ReadyNAS NV+ 1GB RAM)

What do you see when you enter 

# ls -al /dev/mapper/c-c
Message 2 of 6
Brian_Rupert
Aspirant

Re: RAID Volume Full - INPUT/OUTPUT Errors on File Commands Via SSH (ReadyNAS NV+ 1GB RAM)

Stephen,

Thanks for the quick response, when I get home this afternoon and have access to the shell I'll post the results.

-BJr

Message 3 of 6
Brian_Rupert
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Here is the result of ls -al /dev/mapper/c-c

Linux nas 2.6.17.14ReadyNAS #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012 padre unknown
nas:~# ls -al /dev/mapper/c-c
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 0 Jan 16 02:16 /dev/mapper/c-c
nas:~#

Also, here is the result of doing a cd into /c/media directory:

nas:/c/home# cd /c/media
-bash: cd: /c/media: Input/output error
nas:/c/home#

Same error happens on all directories and files.

Thanks,

-BJr

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Well, you shouldn't have done this:

nas:/var/log# cp upnp-av.log /dev/c/c

since /dev/c/c isn't a mounted file system and neither is /dev/mapper/c-c (which is what /dev/c/c links to). 

I don't know exactly what that cp command did, since the link (and /dev/mapper/c-c) both appear ok in ls.  So I don't know how to recover from the mis-step.  

You could try rebooting the NAS (and maybe doing an OS reinstall) - it's possible that will resolve it.

Do you have a backup of your data?  The direct solution is to do a factory reset, rebuild the NAS and restore data from the backup.

Message 5 of 6
Brian_Rupert
Aspirant

Yup I totally realize I should not have done that cp command - it was late and I have put the mouse down and gone to bed. I want to try and save the data on the X-RAID volume, as I have very old backups and would prefer a fix over factory reset. I think I will open a support case with Netgear before I restart the unit, since I have SSH access working with no issues.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and if I get it resolved I'll post an update.

-BJr

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements