× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS 314 :how to inhibit auto power on after power failure? mine re-start automatically

OscarSierra
Aspirant

READYNAS 314 :how to inhibit auto power on after power failure? mine re-start automatically

Hello,

my readynas 314 restarts automatically after a power failure.
It is dangerous in case of multiple breaks of power: for example when READYNAS begin booting... Nominal security rules would dictate that a NAS does not restart on its own after a power failure.
Mine restarts even when not running!
I could understand that it restarts after a power failure if it was on, but not the other way around.
I don't find any setting to do this. can you help me?
FIRMWARE is 6.10.7
Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: READYNAS 314 :how to inhibit auto power on after power failure? mine re-start automatically

I agree it would be good if Netgear had a setting for this. However, they don't - and I don't think it will be implemented now.

One workaround is to protect the NAS with a UPS.  Then the NAS doesn't see a loss of power (even when the battery drains, it won't drain all the way unless the power outage is very long).  So it won't automatically start up.

Message 2 of 4
OscarSierra
Aspirant

Re: READYNAS 314 :how to inhibit auto power on after power failure? mine re-start automatically

OK. Thank you very much for your ... very surprising answer. 
My low-end Synology NAS's restart IF they were running. And do not restart if they were stopped during the power outage. One thing I don't understand: on these ReadyNAD, ther is lot of topics who ask to this community: the complete opposite of
what I was enjoying --> i.e. the NAS restarts after a power outage.
Thank's a lot, but I don't understand.
Olivier
NB:
I already knew that an UPS will meet my needs, but it's so much easier to prevent the ReadyNAS from starting.
In france we say: "Why make it simple, when you can make it very complicated..."

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I don't work for Netgear, so I can't speak to why they made the choice that they made.

I do know that adjusting the behavior requires changing Bios setttings, and Netgear hasn't provided any tools for that.

As far as the UPS goes, a power failure can result in lost disk writes due to disk caching.  That can result in data corruption, and in some cases an unmountable volume.  For me that is more important than whether the system tries to reboot when power is restored or not.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements