× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN316 Stuck at Booting 99% immediately after firmware update

Steedvlx600
Luminary

RN316 Stuck at Booting 99% immediately after firmware update

I am desperately seeking a solution to this issue.

I updated the firmware on my RN316 a few days ago. I had not used the admin panel on the NAS since that time. But, I booted it today and, the admin panel was completely unavailable. The front panel was unresponsive as well. I have recollection of which version I updated to. But, it is the latest as of last week. And, I updated from the previous version which was a HOTFIX version of some type.

SO... in typical panic mode, I tried a shutdown reboot (knowing it would likely trigger a rebuild)

But, NOW it is stuck at 99% on bootup. I can get the front panel to show "upnphttpd.service".
But, have no idea what to do with that information.
Is there ANY hope for the twelve Tb of data or has Netgear finally burned me so bad that I will never buy again.

Support is not available in any way, shape or form for this machine. Typically, NetGear refuses to help fix that which THEY have screwed up unless I dole out almost $200 to their support desk... Never buying NG again. This is the third time they have hung me out to dry with firmware updates that KILL.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

The data would be in a home share with its own user account.

Ok.  Then if you can access the NAS volume with finder using the NAS admin credentials you'd see a home folder in volume.  Inside that you should see the home share.  It would be possible to move the files into a new share, which would give you access.

Though something clearly is corrupted (since the account went missing).  So Netgear support is probably the safest avenue.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 22

All Replies
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Tried using RAIDar to reboot. Now, it is stuck in the early stages of booting. Before the progress bar starts displaying.

Message 2 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Try doing an OS reinstall from the boot menu.

Message 3 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

OK, I did that. Now, after some acrobatics, I have my admin panel back.... BUT... My user account is missing!!!

The space available is correct. So, the files are still there. But how do I restore my user account without losing my files?

Message 4 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Can you see the files if you access the data volume with NAS admin credentials?

For instance, from the Windows CMD window

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\Data /user:admin nas-admin-password

Substitute your actual volume name if you use flexraid.  Be careful on the typing - especially slash direction and spaces.

The first command terminates any open network sessions - if it prompts for confirmation, let it proceed.

The second command mounts the data volume as drive letter T.

If this works, then back up your files.

Message 5 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Well, nevermind that... on subsequent reboot, it hangs at 92% at the plex media server....which it would not even show on the apps screen before. I made a note to reinstall it later... But, now it is causing the boot to freeze up again.

CAnnot even access logs via RAIDar this time.

i swear you need a full-time IT staff to deal with all of NG's screwups.

Message 6 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Thanks for that. All I have here are Macs

Message 7 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

I also have nothing that would hold the 8+ Tb on this system.

Message 8 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Eventually, it gave up on the plex media server... Now, stuck at 99% again (upnphttpd.service)

Right back to where I started.

Message 9 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

Thanks for that. All I have here are Macs

You can use admin credentials with Finder also - though since I'm not a Mac user I can't give you the precise commands

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

I also have nothing that would hold the 8+ Tb on this system.

Well, you should, since RAID isn't enough to protect your data.  But let's set that aside for now.

Are you saying you couldn't access any of the files with Finder?

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

Eventually, it gave up on the plex media server... Now, stuck at 99% again (upnphttpd.service)

Despite your objections to the pricing, paid support from my.netgear.com is one option.  I suspect your data is worth more to you than the cost.

If you can boot the system again, then disable plex (and avoid rebooting the NAS).

Message 10 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Seems it eventually gave up on that last hangup as well. But, there are none of the usual signs of life.
I am managing to access some of my photo files from a finder session.
I can't access the admin. But, at least photos of the last 10 years of world travels will be safe if this copy actually completes,

The rest of the massive data set is still in limbo. If I could just restore my user account I could go get a second NAS and offload the data to that (I know better than to try and recreate the user account through admin even if it were available.)

I don't have the expertise to do any more. And, you may be correct about being forced to pay for NG support. I may have no other option... objections are a luxury at this point.

I wonder if a USB restore to the previous 6.9.4 firmware would put things back to where they belong.

Message 11 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

If I could just restore my user account I could go get a second NAS and offload the data to that (I know better than to try and recreate the user account through admin even if it were available.)

Is the data in your home share, or is it in a public share?

Message 12 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Message 13 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

Ok.  Then if you can access the NAS volume with finder using the NAS admin credentials you'd see a home folder in volume.  Inside that you should see the home share.  It would be possible to move the files into a new share, which would give you access.

Though something clearly is corrupted (since the account went missing).  So Netgear support is probably the safest avenue.

Message 14 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Thank you for pointing that out!

I had not put on my Linux hat for this and, never thought to dig down the hierarchy and see if the volumes were hidden in there. I am used to seeing them in the top level when logging in - though obviously, that won't be happening soon.

I am at work now. But, look forward to finding these folders and moving them tonight.

I certainly hope they are in there somewhere. The NAS reports 9Tb in use which, is what it should be. So, the data are definitely in there somewhere.

The NAS is sitting at 6.9.5 right now. Once I manage to move these files, I will perform a USB update to 6.10.1 since they claim to have fixed the apache and network issues. I will post an update after the ordeal is over.

Wish me luck!

Message 15 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

The NAS is sitting at 6.9.5 right now. Once I manage to move these files, I will perform a USB update to 6.10.1 since they claim to have fixed the apache and network issues. I will post an update after the ordeal is over.

Note that you will be moving them between subvolumes - which turns into a copy/delete operation.  If snapshots are enabled on the home share, then that will create a huge problem.  The solution is to copy the files with cp --reflink.  This uses the CoW feature of BTRFS - so there will be no increase in on-disk space.  They'll be in both locations - something you can take care of after you restore normal access.

Ideally you'd copy them this way to an existing share (either the admin home share, or a public share).  

Good luck, and please do keep us updated on the outcome.

Message 16 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Again; thank you for reminding me of  those home folders. I was indeed, able to access them. And, am currently in the process of offloading the data to two new Barracuda 8Tb drives that I popped in to one of my Hackintosh systems just for this purpose.

The process is estimated at 12 hours. But, once complete, I will have no reason not to completely reset this RN316 to begin again. Lesson learned. And, fortunately in my absense from the tech world, they have came out with some MASSIVE and inexpensive drives. So, no more excuses not to keep two copies of everything around.

Message 17 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

This system was factory reset today with 6.10.1.

I thought this would be the end of the nightmare......

But, NetGear incompetance has struck again.

The apps section is totally dead! Nothing is shown there whatsoever. So, cannot install any of my apps....

THEN....

After setting up the shares and network as well as firming up my desired permissions on each , the last thing I did was change the admin password from the default.

BIG mistake!

Now, I cannot access the admin system at all (and, yes! I am using the correct password). I also tried using the default password to no avail. Then the system LOCKED OUT the admin account with a time-out.
I had set up password recovery as part of the set up... But, I get an error that simply says "Password recovery has failed". Niiiice Netgear... Nice work. /sarcasm

Why oh WHY can't Netgear do ANYTHING right? This is becoming a clown show!

Message 18 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

The apps section is totally dead! Nothing is shown there whatsoever. So, cannot install any of my apps....

Did you try downloading the files from apps.readynas.com, and then manually installing them?

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

I had set up password recovery as part of the set up... But, I get an error that simply says "Password recovery has failed". Niiiice Netgear... 

On your other thread I suggested using the OS reinstall option on the boot menu to reset the password.

Message 19 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Advice for anyone landing in this situation.

1) Don't get emotional (My first mistake) And, use another computer to access your shares and, offload your data to other systems. DO NOT DELETE the data from the NAS. It might still come back after step 4.
2) Make yourself a USB boot stick from the instructions located here. Just in case things go pear-shaped
BUT,
3) First boot your RN3xx, RN4xx, or RN7xx system using the "reset button" boot procedure located here.
4) From the boot menu, select "Reinstall" of the OS.
5) Once restore is complete, try to log in.
5a) If you can log in, immediately restore your network settings. IMPORTANT: If you were using STATIC settings and/or a link aggregation, I would choose a different IP address than the one previously used.

6) If you LOST your user account(s) AND can remember your UID(s), try recreating your User Account. In my case, my data was still there after these steps. (I just happened to remember that my UID was 101.)
6a) If you just cannot restore access to the admin system, use that handy little USB restore stick you made in step one and use it to restore the system to whatever version you chose during the USB's build process

7) OK. After this, hopefully, you will not have the admin account LOCK problems that I had. I believe this was due to other devices on my network trying to log in repeatedly. So, make sure nothing else is trying to access the server. All they have to do is fail 5 times and you are locked out. (That's why I decided to change the IP address of the machine) This is ultimately how I managed to get things back to working properly.

I know there are quite a few having problems with the whole 6.9.x --> 6.10.0 firmware update drama. But, while your mileage may vary, this is how I finally got it done.

Hopefully, this will help someone else.

Message 20 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Thx for pulling together the info for all the steps.

Message 21 of 22
Steedvlx600
Luminary

I jotted down as much as I could remember - before I forgot it.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements