× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS SMB Plus and NULL NetBIOS Sessions

scuthber
Aspirant

ReadyNAS SMB Plus and NULL NetBIOS Sessions

I have an old RN102 that's been exposed as "vulnerable" due to the IPC$ share permitting NULL sessions. I did see another similar post but it was inconclusive...

The firmware is old (6.0.8) and I gather I need to update via 6.2.5 and 6.5.2, which I can do, but I'm puzzled about this "SMB Plus" app, that enables me to disable SMB 1.0. It's not available on my app page - is that because the firmware is so old?

I will probably enable Active Directory auth on it too and disable anonymous, but will this disable null NetBIOS sessions, or do I need to do something else?

Any help much appreciated!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Update the NAS first.  Then if SMB plus isn't there, just download it from https://apps.readynas.com and install it manually

FWIW, you will get better performance if you do a factory reset after you finish the firmware upgrade, and then restore the files on the NAS from backup.

Message 2 of 4
scuthber
Aspirant

I'm up to 6.1.0.3 now and I just noticed a "Legacy Windows Discovery" checkbox in SMB settings. Is this anything to do with the IPC$ share?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@scuthber wrote:

I'm up to 6.10.3 now and I just noticed a "Legacy Windows Discovery" checkbox in SMB settings. 

Windows 10 uses WS-Discovery Old versions of Windows used NetBios discovery.  The checkbox tells the NAS to also advertise using the older method.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements