× The readycloud.netgear.com login issue with the Chrome browser is now fixed. We are actively working on resolving a similar issue with the Safari browser and recommend you use an alternate browser until this error has been resolved.

Remote UPS config

csreynolds
Aspirant

Remote UPS config

I have a RN3138 with a UPS, plugged in USB. This is fine. Everything is working as expected there. 

I have another server plugged into the same UPS that I would like to shut down when on battery power.

I cannot find any documentation on what "Enable network monitoring of attached UPS" does.

Is is SNMP? If so, what is the community and mib config? I tried snmpwalking the IP of my ReadyNas with public and got nothing back.

Is it some apcupsd thing? If so, what port should I be trying to connect to?

Worst case, I can USB connect the UPS to my server and configure apcupsd and then connect the ReadyNAS to it with a "remote UPS" but it's really bugging me that there is no explanation for what this checkbox does.

Any info would be appreciated!

ReadyNas3138_UPS_settings.jpg

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
csreynolds
Aspirant

Re: Remote UPS config

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I was able to configure my centos7 server to poll the UPS attached to the ReadyNAS through its nut server.

Configured using slave node section here: https://www.trojanc.co.za/2019/03/31/guide-network-ups-monitoring-on-centos-7/

My config line in /etc/ups/upsmon.conf looks like this:

MONITOR UPS1@192.168.0.200 1 monuser pass slave

The name of the remote UPS before the @ must match the name displayed in the ReadyNAS config page. In my case, UPS1(autogenerated). It may be different foe someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@csreynolds wrote:

I have another server plugged into the same UPS that I would like to shut down when on battery power.

I cannot find any documentation on what "Enable network monitoring of attached UPS" does.

The NAS uses NUT (network ups tools) to monitor a USB-connected NAS. 

To monitor it over the network, you'd need to install NUT software on the server - if it is running Windows, that would be an old beta software package.  https://networkupstools.org/download.html 

Then you'd set up NUT on the server to connect to the NAS IP address, using monuser for the username and pass for the password.

Ideally the server and the NAS would be on the same switch (which would of course also need to be protected by the UPS).  Upstream routers or switches wouldn't need to be protected.

Message 2 of 3
csreynolds
Aspirant

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I was able to configure my centos7 server to poll the UPS attached to the ReadyNAS through its nut server.

Configured using slave node section here: https://www.trojanc.co.za/2019/03/31/guide-network-ups-monitoring-on-centos-7/

My config line in /etc/ups/upsmon.conf looks like this:

MONITOR UPS1@192.168.0.200 1 monuser pass slave

The name of the remote UPS before the @ must match the name displayed in the ReadyNAS config page. In my case, UPS1(autogenerated). It may be different foe someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements