× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rn212 vs rn422

bmaro
Guide

Rn212 vs rn422

Having a hard time deciding between rn212 vs rn422.This is for home use. Main use is for backing up files, pictures etc and occasional streaming music,videos. Mixture of windows pc,laptop and iPad.I have about 4 tb total of data currently. I like to stick one nas at another location and replicate to it for safeguarding. I had a post earlier on a little different topic but close and got great info from Stephen and I know that readydr isn’t supported with rn212 but i’ll Prob stick to rsync like I do with my ReadyNAS duo sparc currently. Also it seems Plex isn’t supported on rn422 but that isn’t a breaking point. I need to access remotely so ready cloud should do job for both. Power consumption seems a little higher on rn422. Both have link aggregation. Capacity is identical. The purchases prices aren’t that far off between the two.  I’m leaning towards rn212. Does anyone have an opinion on which one to go with? Anything I’m missing like end of life between the two and anything else I should know about? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can run Plex on either of the two.

Personally if the price is close and you don't feel strongly either way I'd go with the RN422. The RN422 has an Intel CPU and it has a display on the front showing the status of the NAS (if it's asleep a momentary press of a button will wake it up).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can run Plex on either of the two.

Personally if the price is close and you don't feel strongly either way I'd go with the RN422. The RN422 has an Intel CPU and it has a display on the front showing the status of the NAS (if it's asleep a momentary press of a button will wake it up).

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The warranty on the RN212 is three years, the warranty on the RN422 is five.  So if the pricing is close, I'd get the RN422.

Message 3 of 4
bmaro
Guide

Thanks guys for the great info.  I was flipping back and forth at first rn422 then the rn212 but I decided to go with the rn422 and purchased it this morning.  Can't wait to see the difference between the rn422 and the readnas duo sparc, I have two sparcs, still going strong I have them for years and they are great.  Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements