× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What are the maximum drive size and total size for a readynas 2304?

ogg1e
Aspirant

What are the maximum drive size and total size for a readynas 2304?

I have a readynas 2304, and I was wondering what the maximum drive size is, and the maximum total size overall.

Is the overall max 40TB? Is that max of usable space, or max of raw HD space? IE - the max I can use is 4x10TB drives, or can I used 4x12TB drive and the max usable space is 36TB if I use raid5?

So what happens if I have 4 - 12TB drives? Will it fail to boot, or will I only see 36TB with raid5?

What happens if I have 4 10TB drives, and one fails and I decide to replace one with a 12TB drive?

I can't find any docs on this to explain it more.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: What are the maximum drive size and total size for a readynas 2304?

@ogg1e wrote:

I have a readynas 2304, and I was wondering what the maximum drive size is, and the maximum total size overall.

There is no known limit.  The 40 TB information on the datasheet was based on the largest compatible disk size available when the datasheet was published.  Netgear doesn't go back and update the datasheet when larger drives come onto the market.

@ogg1e wrote:

So what happens if I have 4 - 12TB drives? Will it fail to boot, or will I only see 36TB with raid5?

It will boot, and with RAID-5/XRAID you end up with a 36 TB (~33.7 TiB) volume size. 

@ogg1e wrote:

What happens if I have 4 10TB drives, and one fails and I decide to replace one with a 12TB drive?

The volume will resync, but the volume size will remain 30 TB (~27.3 TiB).  The capacity rule is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So you'd need to upgrade a second drive to 12 TB to see any increase in the volume.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ogg1e wrote:

There is no known limit.  The 40 TB information on the datasheet was based on the largest compatible disk size available when the datasheet was published.  Netgear doesn't go back and update the datasheet when larger drives come onto the market.

@ogg1e wrote:

It will boot, and with RAID-5/XRAID you end up with a 36 TB (~33.7 TiB) volume size. 

@ogg1e wrote:

The volume will resync, but the volume size will remain 30 TB (~27.3 TiB).  The capacity rule is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So you'd need to upgrade a second drive to 12 TB to see any increase in the volume.

Message 2 of 3
ogg1e
Aspirant

Thanks so much. This is great to know!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements