× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas 102 can't expand storage by adding a new hard drive

walamt
Aspirant

readynas 102 can't expand storage by adding a new hard drive

I have tried twice to install a new hard drive in bay 2 to expand my storage but the readynas does not automatically expand and go to raid 5 as it should. I have not changed x raid. The drive has been recongnised and synchronised but usuable space has not increased.

I then tried changing x raid to add a new volume to see if that changed anything but can not select new drive to add volume as it is greyed out.

Any suggestions as I'm stumped. 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: readynas 102 can't expand storage by adding a new hard drive

@walamt wrote:

I have tried twice to install a new hard drive in bay 2 to expand my storage but the readynas does not automatically expand and go to raid 5 as it should.

You need at least 3 disks to change to RAID-5.  With XRAID, the second disk converts the array to RAID-1.  That adds redundancy, but does not increase storage.

If you want to increase storage, you'd switch to flexraid.  The best approach is to then add the second disk as JBOD - creating a second volume that you can put new shares on. 

If your array is already RAID-1 (likely), then you'll need to create a new volume - you can't downgrade it back to jbod.  The simplest way to do that is do a factory reset with only one drive in place.  Then switch to flexraid after the NAS is set up.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@walamt wrote:

I have tried twice to install a new hard drive in bay 2 to expand my storage but the readynas does not automatically expand and go to raid 5 as it should.

You need at least 3 disks to change to RAID-5.  With XRAID, the second disk converts the array to RAID-1.  That adds redundancy, but does not increase storage.

If you want to increase storage, you'd switch to flexraid.  The best approach is to then add the second disk as JBOD - creating a second volume that you can put new shares on. 

If your array is already RAID-1 (likely), then you'll need to create a new volume - you can't downgrade it back to jbod.  The simplest way to do that is do a factory reset with only one drive in place.  Then switch to flexraid after the NAS is set up.

Message 2 of 4
walamt
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, that worked. You know I couldn't find any information relating to that issue.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

There are some knowledge-base articles and some info on RAID in the user manual (starting on page 22) here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

But lots of people do get surprised when they add a second disk and the available space doesn't increase.  Perhaps adding some specifics about that situation to the user manual and in this knowledge-base article would help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements