Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie Problem

deanost
Novice

Re: Genie Problem

Same problem using DGND370 and Win 8.1. Any solution yet?
Message 26 of 44
Fairytail
Virtuoso

What are the Genie versions you have tried?And which versions are having the same problem when using 8.1?
Message 27 of 44
Carbonite
Aspirant

Just found 68 duplicates on one machine, none on another connected machine, both Win 8.1 Pro . Both Genie ver .16.

Just got prompted to upgrade Genie, which I did -- new version is 2.3.1.24

Don't know if this version will solve the problem but it's out there to try.
Message 28 of 44
IrvSp
Master

I am not getting an UPGRADE notice? Still on the old .16 version, so I deleted it and figured I'd look for the new version. CAN NOT find it on the web site? Know of an easy way to delete all those dup's? I assume they'd just come back if an iPad or PC ran Genie (PC's basically do at startup)?
Message 29 of 44
IrvSp
Master

Well, it seems that V2 has been around for a long time, see HERE, 1 year to be exact tomorrow... HERE is the link to get it, but it doesn't say what version it is? I'm NOT sure I want to run it? I used the web client for the router anyway, but it is NICE to have on the iPad's...
Message 30 of 44
dgrady42
Novice

I have the same issue and I have version 2.3.1.46
Message 31 of 44
fizios
Aspirant

Same problem on Windows 8.1 with 2.3.1.46... Genie Media severs created in Devices & Printers by the dozens... Clearly a problem with the Application.

Is it not possible to switch off the Media server function alltogether and permanently? That might be helpful, since I didn't actually want to use it in first place. Disabling the NetGear Genie service didn't resolve the issue.

Below is the UNHELPFUL reply from NetGear technical support.... clearly missing the point that the problem is NOT my computer, given how many people are having this issue on this forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the information that you have provided, this seems to be a problem with the Genie and Windows 8.1 computer. To isolate the issue, please install the Genie on a computer with a different operating system. I would suggest the web forum thread below:
[link to this post]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 32 of 44
theoldfarter
Aspirant

Their reply was downright lazy. One uses the operating system that comes installed on your computer, in most case. I have had that problem as well with dozens in the Devices & Printers. They were not helpful to me about this. I uninstalled the program. My confidence in Netgear has taken a large dive and their gear may not even get a look in, when I replace their D6300.
Message 33 of 44
cc_in_oh
Follower

Maybe my experience will shed some light. I switched to a R6300v2 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I went to print something on my Win8 computer and my wireless printer was "offline". When I looked at Devices and Printers I found dozens of instances of Genie Media Servers. I didn't make the "mental" connection with Netgear Genie; I just deleted them all, set up a DHCP reservation for the printer, and everything was working fine.

Now I see 6 more instances on that computer, and belatedly realized the "Genie" involved is Netgear.

I don't run Genie on that computer. I run it once or twice a week on my Win7 computer, usually to see if the USB drive on my WD SMP is online.

All instances point back to the Win7 computer.

I have never had an instance installed on that computer.

All media services are disabled on the router and attached NAS. (the SMP plays all files natively, it doesn't need DLNA or such).

I do, however, run the PlayOn service on the Win7 machine, but only to support PlayLater on that same machine.

I just now started Genie and upgraded to 2.3.1.57 - maybe that's my lucky number and these bogus instances on the Win8 machine will stop multiplying?
Message 34 of 44
nxs3318
Novice

Same problem with the Media Servers. A support Request, besides reminding me I was out of warranty, did say that they are looking in to this issue. In my case, I have an R6300v2, and three computers, an XP, a Windows 7 64 bit, and a Windows 8.1. The problem is only on the 8.1 computer. Deleting the Genie on the Windows 8.1 computer eliminates the problem. But, for whatever the reason, I like the Genie and became used to using it for several years before I upgraded to a new computer and Windows 8.1. At first I thought it was a Windows problem. I spent numerous hours on the phone and chat system with their tech support on several occasions. I gotta admit, they really tried hard. Has anybody that still has tech support from Netgear available to them submitted a support request and if so, what was Netgear's reply? There must be hundreds, if not thousands of people with this problem, many who don't even know they have it. How often do we look at Printers and Devices unless there is a problem. By the time some of these people find out they have this problem, they could have what, hundreds? thousands? (is that possible?) of media servers. Think about deleting all of those one at a time. Hopefully a solution will show up.
Message 35 of 44
cc_in_oh
Follower

After getting your post I checked again - 11 instances on Win8, none on Win7. I only recall running Genie once in the last month or so, on the Win7 machine, closing the service when finished. Unfortunately properties do not include date so it's hard to track down the cause.
Message 36 of 44
nxs3318
Novice

I have run Genie on my five year old Windows 7 machine for years, Genie starts automatically with Windows on that computer, and that computer only shuts down on power failures. There are no Media Serves on that computer. Same story on the XP computer (running for over 10 years, installed Genie on it a long time ago). This issue, in my opinion, is unique to Windows 8.1 (possibly Windows 8.0 too but I do not have a machine running Windows 8.0). You can still run the equivalent of Genie after uninstalling it from your computer by logging in to the router. I probably should not leave Genie running on the other machines - it's a waste of CPU time and I hardly ever look at it anymore, Good luck to everybody with their Media Servers.
Message 37 of 44
toolsmith
Aspirant

The problem is NOT with Windows 8 or 8.1, or any OS, it is with the NetGenie software. I ran the older version of Net Genie on my Windows 8 computer with no problem. Only when Netgear came out with version 2.3.1.16 did I begin to experience the multiple media devices. Since I uninstalled the Genie, the problem disappeared. Netgear needs get busy and come up with a solution to this old problem and stop hiding behind expired warranties and blaming the OS. Take a look, the original post about this issue goes back to December, 2013!
Message 38 of 44
nxs3318
Novice

I just looked at the Seagate site. There is a new Seagate Dashboard software with backup plan functions in it. Memeo has screwed up my registry so bad even after paying Microsoft $149 for their Assure program and five hours of them working on it it's still screwed up. It was caused by the Memeo Premium installer. Microsoft tier two support is calling me tomorrow to take another shot at it. But it looks like I might be doing a complete recovery back to day one. Now my Seagate Dashboard quit too. If I get the PC straightened out, I'll give Seagate's new software a try. And by the way, Memeo tried for three or four days to get my system working, finally gave up and said it looks like I will have to re-install windows. I'll give them credit, they put a lot of time in to it. At least I can feel satisfied that I paid for the problems when I bought the upgrade to Memeo Premium. 🙂

Wonder if they give refunds?
Message 39 of 44
S-Warren
Guide

I have the Netgear R6220 AC1200 and had problems printing today and when I looked in Devices and Printers I saw about 20 instances of Genie Media Servers on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I had the R6220v2 of Netgear Genie installed so I uninstalled it and removed all instances of the Genie Media Servers.

I downloaded and installed the R6220 version of the Genie which is v2.4.12.  So far no more duplicate Genie Media Servers have appeared after several restarts and my printing is back to normal.  If something changes I will post back with an update.

Message 40 of 44
trainnut
Guide

I have a 6300v2 with Genie 2.4.12 running on a Win 10 Pro 64 bit and another computer running Win 10 Home 32 bit plus an old XP machine used just for running my model trains.  This did not happen when running Win 7 Pro on the one machine and Win 7 Home nor on the XP.  This problem only showed up after upgrading the two machines to Win 10 (not much dissimilar from 8.0 or 8.1).  I was getting many instances of the Genie Media servers like you, and I just now discovered what I think is the answer.

I don't give a rip about sharing media between cvomputers as I don't use my computers as toys but as serious tools.  I guess that is not the norm these days (I am 73 and a retired IT who used computers as business tools, not playthings) and why NetGear sets the media servers on by default.

After deleting all instances on the two Win 10 machines (not showing up on the XP), I then opened NetGear Genie and by looking a little bit I found a setting I have never used because I never needed it with Win 7.  Give this a try and see if it works for you as it did for me.

First delete all instance of the Genie Servers in Devices and Printers.  If you don't, that is ok as you can delete them later, but they will show up in the next step if you don't delete them first.  What you are going to do next is turn off the Genie Media Service within NetGear Genie.  In the left column of choices click on 'My Media'.  In the box to the right and at the top of that box you will see a square button and next to it a refresh button.  When you point to the square, it will say something like 'turn off service'.  Click on that and confirm.  That turns off the media sharing service with Genie and should stop the annoying instances of media servers in devices and printers.

I believe that will solve the problem.

Message 41 of 44
trainnut
Guide

I did discover one other thing that all need to know,  Of course, the simpleist solution is for Netgear to fix Genie so this doesn't happen.  But, in the meantime, this solution does work with one caveat and that is if you restart the computer or shut it down and then start again, Genie will reset the service as on when it reloads.  Just open Genie and turn it off and you will not get the repeated instances of Media Servers.  You should only get one server for each computer on the network in Devices and Printers on each connected computer.  If you put the computer(s) in sleep or hibernation, the service will remain off though and you do not have to turn it off again.  You only have to do it for any computer(s) that were restarted or shut down.

Message 42 of 44
S-Warren
Guide

@S-Warren wrote:

I have the Netgear R6220 AC1200 and had problems printing today and when I looked in Devices and Printers I saw about 20 instances of Genie Media Servers on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I had the R6220v2 of Netgear Genie installed so I uninstalled it and removed all instances of the Genie Media Servers.

I downloaded and installed the R6220 version of the Genie which is v2.4.12.  So far no more duplicate Genie Media Servers have appeared after several restarts and my printing is back to normal.  If something changes I will post back with an update.

I discovered Netgear Genie disables a service on my printer. I have an HP Officejet 4630 All-in-one printer that has an app called "Scan to PC" which allows me to scan from my printer and send the result to other devices on my network. The app becomes active when it detects the printer is turned on but Genie blocks it for some reason and then I have to turn it on manually. I was able to reproduce this by installing/uninstalling Netgear Genie.

Message 43 of 44
S-Warren
Guide

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7