Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My kids are bypassing Netgear Live Parental Controls by using hotspot shield vpn

classic2me
Aspirant

My kids are bypassing Netgear Live Parental Controls by using hotspot shield vpn

I recently enabled Netgear Parental Controls.

However, my son is able to access all the materials as before as if the router has no Netgear Live Parental Controls at all.

I found that he was using hotspot shield vpn free proxy, which unlocks all the block sites.

What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Is there any settings in the netgear router that can block all these vpn-based bypassing utilities?

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: My kids are bypassing Netgear Live Parental Controls by using hotspot shield vpn

@classic2mewrote:

Then, why does Netgear router have Parent Controls if it is 2018 that we live in the networked information age? 

No idea if it can and will block work-around technologies. When looking into the Netgear Marketing for Live Parental Control you end on a page previously showing the Live Parental Control (based on OpenDNS) - now we see Circle promoted and offered here.

Regardless ... and talking as an old IT crow and IT security person ... if you want to avoid (m)any attempts to circumnavigate network security measures, you need to take very strict control of the client systems - being computers, tablets, mobile phones, ... otherwise the kids will install whatever software, change the device configuration, manipulate the interfaces MAC addresses, and much more. If going more strict, use wired conncitons only, configure (managed) swiches allowing one MAC address at the kids room thernet cables, lock the physical access to the patch panels, ... All your efforts will be nulled.

The only thing that works is a "No.". Otherwise you will end in a family network security war. And the kids - will most - likley win.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
William10a
Master

@Case850 wrote:

Turn off the router and make sure he never leaves the house, no cell phones and no TV.

Come on this is 2017, we live in the networked information age.

That's what a vpn does bypasses filters and controls that blocks web sties, there is no way to block the vpn connection short of no more internet as stated in the above posting.

Message 2 of 6
classic2me
Aspirant

Then, why does Netgear router have Parent Controls if it is 2018 that we live in the networked information age?

I believe Netgear thought that Parent Controls is still needed whether we live in the information age or not when the network can ruin children's lives.

Message 3 of 6

In my day parental controls meant "a belt".  No meant "no" and we learned the cause and effect relationship of our actions quickly. 

Message 4 of 6
duckware
Prodigy

Parental Control comes from a parent, not a router.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@classic2mewrote:

No idea if it can and will block work-around technologies. When looking into the Netgear Marketing for Live Parental Control you end on a page previously showing the Live Parental Control (based on OpenDNS) - now we see Circle promoted and offered here.

Regardless ... and talking as an old IT crow and IT security person ... if you want to avoid (m)any attempts to circumnavigate network security measures, you need to take very strict control of the client systems - being computers, tablets, mobile phones, ... otherwise the kids will install whatever software, change the device configuration, manipulate the interfaces MAC addresses, and much more. If going more strict, use wired conncitons only, configure (managed) swiches allowing one MAC address at the kids room thernet cables, lock the physical access to the patch panels, ... All your efforts will be nulled.

The only thing that works is a "No.". Otherwise you will end in a family network security war. And the kids - will most - likley win.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7