Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App Freezing on Splash Screen

Bobr31
Tutor

Nighthawk App Freezing on Splash Screen

I just setup an R7000 Nighthawk router.  The router works great but I cannot get the app to load beyond the splash screen on either of my Samsung devices.  I am trying to use the app on a Samsung S10+ and a Samsung Tab 5e.  I can get the splash screen to load and then it freezes.  Using Version V4.2.10.860.  I have, on a couple of occasions, gotten it to load by uninstalling and reloading the app after clearing the storage and cache.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk App Freezing on Splash Screen

@Bobr31 wrote:

Using Version V4.2.10.860.  I have, on a couple of occasions, gotten it to load by uninstalling and reloading the app after clearing the storage and cache.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Make that V2.4.10.860?

What firmware version do you have on the R7000?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Is it one that supports Nighthawk App rather than the Netgear App?

Message 2 of 6
Bobr31
Tutor

Correct-the app version is V2.4.10.60.  Just checked for a firmware update on the router and it indicated there are none.  My current version

is:

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Per Google Play, the app is listed as NETGEAR Nighthawk-WiFi Router App

I just discovered that when I go to Google Play on either my phone (Samsung S10+) or tablet (Samsung TabS 5e)  it shows the app as Installed.  And, when I tap Open, the Nighthawk app opens and does not freeze.  This is the only way I can currently open the app without freezing.  I am wondering if this may be a security or other setting.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
Bobr31
Tutor

FYI...I again just did the recommended Force Stop and cleared the Data and Cache.  I was able to get the app to start.  I went through the sign in process and got it working.  I then closed the app and tried to reopen it, but it froze at the splash screen.

Message 4 of 6
Bobr31
Tutor

OK.  I think I have resolved the issue.  When I was installing the router initially, the setup failed so I did a 2nd setup.  The 2nd one succeeded.  However, I discovered in settings that I had 2 routers set up.  The first one showed up in Red and the 2nd one in Green.  Both were listed as R7000. I deleted the one in Red.  That appears to have solved the issue.  I suspect the app was trying to connect to the failed install.  That doesn't explain why I was able to open the app from Google Play, but both devices now open the app fine.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 6

Good detective work.

When I use the Nighthawk app to go for remote management rather than local access, it sees by an R7800 with a green dot beside the name and an R7000P with a red dot.(It is picking these up from a MyNetgear account.) The latter is actually offline and is not available. But it does not prevent the app from launching.

By the way, asking the router to look for new firmware is not 100% reliable. There may be a newer version that has yet to hit the update server, or even hotfix (beta) versions that may never get there.

The best check is on the support pages for your hardware.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7