Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App no longer functioning

Gabe019
Aspirant

Nighthawk App no longer functioning

Hi, 

I received an email last week from Netgear Security that new firmware was available, however, the Nighthawk app on my IPhone keeps saying that it either cannot find the router or that WiFi is not detected, yet all our devices are connected to the router. (Note: I just switched from Iphone 6 to Iphone SE; the app was working fine until recently so I'm not sure if there's an issue with the new phone).

I've followed the troubleshooting advice from the app itself. I've also deleted and re-installed the app; I've rebooted the router too. I also tried accessing the router via its IP address or routerlogin.net but no luck. I also tried different browsers. And I tried searching the community for something relevant.

I spoke with a support rep last Thursday but he couldn't isolate the issue. During the call, he checked with his colleagues who advised him that there were no issues with the app. I stopped short of giving him remote access to my laptop as I wasn't confortable with that.

I was hoping someone may have some advice or point me in the right direction to solve this issue.  

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Ralac71
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App no longer functioning

I'm glad it worked. For what it's worth I made a comment about the app issue which still doesn't work for me and got an email from support. I made it clear they wouldn't have remote access in my response. Haven't heard back in two weeks now. You might want to run a security scan if you gave them access. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Ralac71
Tutor

I have similar issues with the app but mostly on checking for firmware. It is possible to manually update the firmware through laptop from the support section of the website. There are updates available, I just checked. You can download the packet and the instructions are pretty easy
Message 2 of 8
Gabe019
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply @Ralac71 

Part of my problem is that I cannot access the router from my laptop (either by using the IP address given or via routerlogin.net). I follow the instructions to download the update but here's the message:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.1 took too long to respond.

Is there anyway to get around this?  

I'm not tech savvy but I was able to download updates in the past without much difficulty.

Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Gabe019,

You may want to try a factory reset on the router and run through the setup assistant again using the Nighthawk app.

Christian 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Gabe019 wrote:

Thank you for your reply @Ralac71 

Part of my problem is that I cannot access the router from my laptop (either by using the IP address given or via routerlogin.net). I follow the instructions to download the update but here's the message:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.1 took too long to respond.

Is there anyway to get around this?  

I'm not tech savvy but I was able to download updates in the past without much difficulty.

Thanks again. 

What modem do you have? 

Try manually downloading the firmware for the router.

Then disconnect the router from the modem and reboot the router.

then open a command prompt on a windows 10 device (thats connected to the router). type ipconfig    

the default ip address should be the address for the router. 

use that to access the router

Once you've access it, you can manually install the firmware to the router. I'd recommend doing over a hardwired connection for best results. In my experience, when we get corrupt firmware issues, it tends to be from when its updated using the app or over wireless.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

It also seems that the R7000 shows the the 1.0.9.88 as the current firmware for the app for a lot of people (from what I've seen). Not sure which version you're currently on. 

Message 5 of 8
Ralac71
Tutor

It sounds like you are trying to connect via wifi. Try to connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable. The time out should be less of an issue. I always try to do a wired connection when doing the updates. The firmware download is much faster. If you can get in on a wired connection a factory reset is probably a good idea
Message 6 of 8
Gabe019
Aspirant

Thank you all for the replies . @Ralac71 @plemans @Christian_R 

I was able to get into the router via ethernet and it seems to have the most current firmware already installed.

I did notice that the router was in AP mode so I changed it to router mode. Not sure how it went to AP mode on its own though. 

The Nighthawk app (version 2.7.2.19) on my phone is working too.

Now...my printer is on the fritz but that's for another forumSmiley Happy

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
Ralac71
Tutor

I'm glad it worked. For what it's worth I made a comment about the app issue which still doesn't work for me and got an email from support. I made it clear they wouldn't have remote access in my response. Haven't heard back in two weeks now. You might want to run a security scan if you gave them access. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7