Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App "Internet Speed" test AND the web interface's QoS speedtest are NOT working at all

schonkeren
Tutor

Nighthawk App "Internet Speed" test AND the web interface's QoS speedtest are NOT working at all

Firmware verson v1.0.5.38

Per title: I noticed this today both in a classic setup (Dutch T-Mobile Fibre ISP router linked to my Netgear) AND without the ISP router installed where the network cable is directly attached to my Netgear (VLAN 300).

All my clients etc. have internet, no problem. I just wanted to check the speed in my new setup without the ISP router installed. Both the Nighhawk app AND the web interface's QoS speedtest fail, in both setups. It should work though.

Error given by the app's "Internet Speed -> Test my Speed" is:

Connection Failed

If the problem persists, try rebooting your router

Again, I have perfect internet otherwise.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schonkeren
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App "Internet Speed" test AND the web interface's QoS speedtest are NOT work

(sigh) the problem is not with me, nor my setup. The problem is with the app's testing functionality. No 2nd router is installed. But even with the old situation with 2 routers it should work and it doesn't.

Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schonkeren
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App "Internet Speed" test AND the web interface's QoS speedtest are NOT work

Well I'll be... I've been trying for the last 2 hours, and the speed test consistently failed.

But while writing the above question, I suddenly noticed that both my phones had suddenly completed the speed tests. I DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING BUT WRITING THIS ARTICLE! Apparently, sometimes it's good when Big Brother is watching xD

But seriously: are there service problems? I never had it fail before... And this time, it wasn't me 😉

Message 2 of 7
schonkeren
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App "Internet S..peed" test AND the web interface's QoS speedtest are NOT work

.... and it's failing again on both phones: last succesful test suddenly was less than 500Mb (instead of 985Mb). I didn't change anything except browser tabs 🙂

So it definitely is a service problem, no? Some confirmation would be great 🙂

Message 3 of 7
schonkeren
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App "Internet S..peed" test AND the web interface's QoS speedtest are NOT wo

It sometime works, and when it works the results are all over the place: from what it should be (+900Mb up.down) all the way down to 0Mb down and 8Mb up. My clients don't have this problem, so it really is a problem with your speed tests.

Message 4 of 7

@schonkeren wrote:

All my clients etc. have internet, no problem. I just wanted to check the speed in my new setup without the ISP router installed. Both the Nighhawk app AND the web interface's QoS speedtest fail, in both setups. It should work though.

What is this ISP router?

If it really is a router, or a modem router, that could explain what you see.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Remember, when you are playing around with different devices on a network, you can't just unplug one thing and plug in something else. We aren't talking toasters here. You need to reboot modems and routers so that they configure themselves with the appropriate settings.

Message 5 of 7
schonkeren
Tutor

(sigh) the problem is not with me, nor my setup. The problem is with the app's testing functionality. No 2nd router is installed. But even with the old situation with 2 routers it should work and it doesn't.

Thanks 🙂

Message 6 of 7
schonkeren
Tutor

Still no answers? 😞

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7