Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App vs Ookla App speed differences

RunnersLunge
Tutor

Nighthawk App vs Ookla App speed differences

I appreciate any insight from those more knowledgeable than myself.  

Ill try try to clarify a few items:

the attached screenshots are from iPad mini5 however I’ve test on iPhone and Apple TV 

Router R7000 is up to date on firmware etc and internet is 1000mbps fiber optics. 

The iPad is WiFi only so no chance it’s picking up cellular data. 

I understand the iPad has its own device limitations but the question originates why one app is reasonable speeds vs the other in speed measurement. It appears the ookla app is consistently slow across all tested platforms but the nighthawk app reflects speeds more inline with expected processing. 

I checked tests on ookla as single and multiple but no significant differences - all below 100mbps

both apps are testing to same identited server locations. 

The below screenshot is from the ookla testing

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@RunnersLunge wrote:

I understand the iPad has its own device limitations but the question originates why one app is reasonable speeds vs the other in speed measurement. It appears the ookla app is consistently slow across all tested platforms but the nighthawk app reflects speeds more inline with expected processing

Very simple and obvious ...

• The Ookla Speedtest App on the iDevice or the Android device does test the complete connection, including the typically weaker wireless connection from the device to the router or wireless AP
  • The Nighthawk App does remote control a Ookla Speedtest powered client operating on the Nighthawk router - the aim is to get a reasonable representation of the routers effective Internet up- and downlink performance for tuning the dynamic QoS system (and for the performance geeks)

Look here - my Pixel 2 is connected to LTE only, using the Nighthawk App remote administration to a R9000 - neither the mobile device nor the router model matter, it's for demonstration purposes only - it works similar on your iDevice:

Screenshot_20190603-224721.png

In the Internet Speed test page, use the (?) and you get this - it's about router <-> Internet:

Screenshot_20190603-224737.png

No, it's not a magic LTE speed, the router tested does sit on a well loaded Gb Fiber link:

Screenshot_20190603-224819.pngScreenshot_20190603-224830.png

Enjoy!

PS. Amazing, the Netgear people don't know the difference .... 

PPS. I can be contracted and would be happy for providing training for Netgear people.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
RunnersLunge
Tutor

Ookla

Message 2 of 9
RunnersLunge
Tutor

Nighthawk speed tests

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tested wired speeds are they this slow? does other wifi devices get slow speeds?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Speed tests are really not always reliable. My ISP, Spectrum, has its OWN Ookla site even. Why? Because it measures TRUE SPEED on thier network. No outside delays, such as long routings, packet loss, jitter, caused by normal traffic on the web.

Want to see better speeds, go to https://speedof.me/, it shows 20% faster than my ISP delivers... due to the methods it uses.

Don't forget (as you know) the wireless difference and the device difference.

You might be interested in reading this links:

https://www.lifewire.com/rules-for-a-more-accurate-internet-speed-test-2617984

https://techwiser.com/test-your-internet-speed/

https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/speed-tests-accuracy/

I consider the test result only an indicator of if my ISP is working. Off from rated speed by 20% (and I don't know the reason) then I contact the ISP. Wireless, even AC devices might not be able to handle full GB speeds, where a wired GB device will come close.

Message 5 of 9
RunnersLunge
Tutor

I appreciate the replies. I’ll read through the referenced links and test the wired speed measurementswhen I have an opportunity this weekend and update accordingly. 

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
jsn715
Aspirant

do you have modem connected ? try with out it..

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@RunnersLunge wrote:

I understand the iPad has its own device limitations but the question originates why one app is reasonable speeds vs the other in speed measurement. It appears the ookla app is consistently slow across all tested platforms but the nighthawk app reflects speeds more inline with expected processing

Very simple and obvious ...

• The Ookla Speedtest App on the iDevice or the Android device does test the complete connection, including the typically weaker wireless connection from the device to the router or wireless AP
  • The Nighthawk App does remote control a Ookla Speedtest powered client operating on the Nighthawk router - the aim is to get a reasonable representation of the routers effective Internet up- and downlink performance for tuning the dynamic QoS system (and for the performance geeks)

Look here - my Pixel 2 is connected to LTE only, using the Nighthawk App remote administration to a R9000 - neither the mobile device nor the router model matter, it's for demonstration purposes only - it works similar on your iDevice:

Screenshot_20190603-224721.png

In the Internet Speed test page, use the (?) and you get this - it's about router <-> Internet:

Screenshot_20190603-224737.png

No, it's not a magic LTE speed, the router tested does sit on a well loaded Gb Fiber link:

Screenshot_20190603-224819.pngScreenshot_20190603-224830.png

Enjoy!

PS. Amazing, the Netgear people don't know the difference .... 

PPS. I can be contracted and would be happy for providing training for Netgear people.

Message 8 of 9
RunnersLunge
Tutor

Thanks Schumaku for clarifying. Considering it’s acting as a remote control connection and the actual device is irrelevant since is just assessing the router:internet.  

I would presume this speed should register higher itself on the 1G fiber network and will assess the device speeds separately. Thanks for addressing the original inquiry. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7