Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk ac2600 and app not connecting even though i am on its wifi network

Charger_rules
Aspirant

Nighthawk ac2600 and app not connecting even though i am on its wifi network

I'm not a big tech guy but we just bought a nighthawk ac2600 today and I hooked it all up and set up the network (changed name and passowrd) connected to it from my phones wifi with mobile data turned off and it still just keeps saying I'm not connected, currently there is a pc, ps4, a smart tv, and 4 different mobile devices all using the connection, and the wifi is working on all of them but the app just saying I'm not connected, also I can't connect to the pc with the ethernet cable, only the wifi is working
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk ac2600 and app not connecting even though i am on its wifi network

@Charger_rules wrote:
but the app just saying I'm not connected, also I can't connect to the pc with the ethernet cable, only the wifi is working

When you use the app, you first have to connect the device it is running on to the local wifi network.

Have you done that before you try using the app to connect to the AC2600?

By the way AC2600 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. It is one of the "Technical Specifications". There is an AC2600 model, but Netgear makes several routers witt h that wifi label.

As to the failure to connect with the PC, that is probably down to Windows and has nothing to do with the router, or whatever your AC2600 might be.

Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

Check here:

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status

What do you see?

The Network troubleshooter in Windows can help.

Message 2 of 6
Charger_rules
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk ac2600 and app not connecting even though i am on its wifi network

Ok right now the only internet I'm connected to on this phone is through the wifi from this router, I open the app, it says checking internet connection, then goes to detecting product, then says there are issues connecting with go to settings wifi, that takes me to where I connect to the network I'm already connected to, it's a big run around and theres not much to do that doesn't lead right back to that.

The model is R7450

Also the things you said to click on don't seem to have links attached to them
Message 3 of 6

@Charger_rules wrote:
Ok right now the only internet I'm connected to on this phone is through the wifi from this router,

If there is one, what is the modem in front of your router?

@Charger_rules wrote:

Also the things you said to click on don't seem to have links attached to them

They aren't supposed to. They are where to look in Windows. This isn't the place for tutorials in how to deal with Windows networks, but sniff around for something like this.

Windows Network StatusWindows Network Status

Networkstatus.jpg

Message 4 of 6
Charger_rules
Aspirant

The modem is a hitron, it says its model name CODA-4582

And when I go to the ethernet in the computers settings it just says no internet, it doesn't show the router
Message 5 of 6

@Charger_rules wrote:
The modem is a hitron, it says its model name CODA-4582

If this is what you own:

DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem Router | CODA-4582 | Hitron Americas

then you have a modem/router.

That is why you see a messy network. You are piling on one router after another.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

How to Bridge your Hitron CODA 4582 Modem - Rogers

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The best strategy for you depends on why you decided to add another router to your existing device. Maybe there are features on the R7450 that you can't get with the Hitron box. Only you know what you are trying to achieve.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7