Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk app and ac750 wifi extender

n0ckturn4l
Aspirant

Nighthawk app and ac750 wifi extender

Hello all

So i recently purchased the ac750 wifi extender and set it up through my iphone. Instead of using the nighthawk app like the manual instructs, whenever i connect to the extenders wifi a webpage would pop up on my phone to setup the extender bypassing the app. I set everything up and all seems to be working fine, but the extender does not show up on the nighthawk app and when I connect to the extender signal, the device will dissappear from the nighthawk app but I am still connected to the extender and able to use internet. Is there a way to make the extender and the devices connected to the extender show up on the nighthawk app? Thanks 

Message 1 of 8

Re: Nighthawk app and ac750 wifi extender

ac750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Is your unnamed device on this list?

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
n0ckturn4l
Aspirant

Sorry about that. My model is the EX6100v2. The only thing I can think of is that I did update the firmware(about 2 hours ago) and it stated added support for the nighthawk app. Should I just start the process over again? Could the firmware not up to date be the issue with not being able to setup the extender through the app? Also, thank you for replying.

Message 3 of 8

Where possible, it can be easier to set up a new device using the browser interface rather than an app.

I can't see what your app shows for your extender, but I do know that extenders are not as versatile as routers when it comes to controlling them with an app.

Message 4 of 8
n0ckturn4l
Aspirant

I gotcha. I was just wondering if I set it up through the app, would the app show me what is connected like the app does for the router. I was just confused since the instrucrtions for the extender were to use the app to setup but I was unable to.

Message 5 of 8

@n0ckturn4l wrote:

I was just wondering if I set it up through the app, would the app show me what is connected like the app does for the router.

Not really. Things do not really "connect" to the extender. They connect to the router through the extender.

It is the router that handles the traffic and allocates IP addresses. Think of the extender is a dumb terminal.

Message 6 of 8
n0ckturn4l
Aspirant

Ok gotcha on that. Is it normal for the devices that are connected to the extender to not show up on connected devices on the app? For example, say I have my ps4 connected directly to the router with wifi it will show up on the app as a connected device on either the 2.4 or 5.0. Now if I connect my ps4 over wifi to the extender it disappears off the connected devices list on the app, but there is still a connection and I am able to use my ps4 online.

Message 7 of 8

I actually own the ex6100v2, but it's not listed on the drop down list.  Now that I've installed the updated, latest firmware, I see that I can use the Nighthawk app.  However, for 3 years I've been controlling the extender by login via the web and occasionally using Netgear's WiFi analytics app to help with physical placement of my router, extender, and the few wifi devices that have a directional antenna.  Do I gain any new capabilities if I download/install the Nighthawk app.  If it's redundant with what I do on the web and with the WiFi analytics app, I won't bother with the Nighthawk app.

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7