Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk app device names and type in network mgr not retained

Derek11CH84
Initiate

Nighthawk app device names and type in network mgr not retained

Netgear AC1900 model C7100V

firmware V2.01.45

Nighthawk app 2.27.0.77

Pb: use app to create customer names for all devices and assign icons using the device manager. Two saves, one for the icon first, and then one for the name, and a confirmation message that says “Details saved successfully!”. Then going back to app home page and re-entering device manager and…all saves are gone. I observed this on my iPhone and my iPad, separately, i.e. I ran the app and the changes on each device. Same outcome.  

I opened a case with Netgear and the person I spoke with had no knowledge of this problem. So I came here and found out as of June of 2023 a problem reported in this community back in 2017 (Genie app) and in 2020 (Nighthawk app) is still current.

Another data point. If I log into my router with the browser and go to attached devices, there is a table that displays every device and device names there are not updated/custom. If I select access control (where you can allow or block each device access to the wifi), there is another table, similar, where each device is listed with this time the custom name assigned via the app.

So clearly, there is some screwed up programming here where multiple fields ( at least two) for device names and they are not consistent nor showing in the right place. It is staggering this has been going on for several years. 

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
PaulGosselin
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk app device names and type in network mgr not retained

Hi,

I have been ignoring this problem on my network for a while.

I followed your lead to use Access Control to (try to) change the device name.

Long story short,I removed any spaces from my new device name and replaced with "_", and it instantly worked, at least for the one that I was trying to fix.

There may also be length limitations... I'm not brave enough to try.

Thanks for the hint!!

Good Luck

Paul

PS: Now if I could get Readyshare to keep running, I'd be a happy camper. I know it is kaput when I can't even ping 192.168.0.5 (it is working today).

Message 2 of 4

@PaulGosselin wrote:

PS: Now if I could get Readyshare to keep running, I'd be a happy camper. I know it is kaput when I can't even ping 192.168.0.5 (it is working today).

If you want help with ReadySHARE, start a new conversation in the section given over to whatever device you are using.

It would be interesting to now why you think you can get anywhere pinging that IP address.

Message 3 of 4
PaulGosselin
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion:-)

There is a correlation between being able to ping that address and it working, that's all I was musing about.

Paul G.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7