Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental bypass controls - R7000

LHL711
Aspirant

Parental bypass controls - R7000

I have enabled my parental controls, downloaded the Genie app and change settings to so my devices will bypass the controls.  Even with my devices using the bypass, I am still blocked.  Let me give a specific.

I created a blacklist and whitelist in my parental control settings.  I want to block YouTube.  I have downloaded the Genie app, activated the bypass account on specific devices, and still am blocked from YouTube.  I have checked the Network Map on the device in question and on my laptop and can see that the devices in questions have parental controls enabled with the bypass login engaged.  

I have read some of the others comments and tried the following:

Deleting and reinstalling Genie

Disabling Parental Controls and Enabling again

Refreshing my settings - Parental Controls, Wireless, and Router Settings

Rebooting my Router

None of these have worked.  

I am not a computer novice and have tried to research the comments but to no avail.  What do I need to do in order to have this work properly.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Message 1 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Parental bypass controls - R7000

Hi @LHL711,

Please make sure that the DNS settings of the devices are set to be obtained automatically from the router. Also, make sure that when LPC (Live Parental Controls) is enabled that the router's DNS are set to the OpenDNS servers of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. If not, you can have them manually set.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
LHL711
Aspirant

My DNS setting were on automatic but I manually changed them to the ones you suggested.  After I did that, my Mac was able to bypass but my phone and iPad was not.  It seemed that my iPad kept logging me out because it made me log in to the genie and do the bypass login every time.  

Also, when I would check my network. Map and click on the device to check status, it would show the bypass login was engaged. Again, that was. It the case for the devices in question.

I ended up disabling the parental controls until I have more time to play with it.  Any more ideas, thoughts, or comments to help further with this would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LHL711,

1. Manually set the DNS on the devices themselves.

2. What version of the NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

3. Is it only on iOS devices or on Android as well?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7